Breakfast – it’s one of the most important meals of the day and one I never skip. I know for some people, though, it’s a challenge to pull together something healthy early in the morning amidst the rush of getting ready for work or getting kids ready for school. Even Neil and I (who get up super early to accommodate our extremely slow pace in the mornings) sometimes find it challenging to “get it together” re: breakfast and more often than not, I will set out an array of items for us to choose from – yogurts, granola bars, bananas. As I was looking at the breakfast table the other day, which included a very sad looking banana, Neil wondered aloud when I might be making some banana bread. Then it hit me. Instead of eating all the breakfast items separately, why not incorporate them in a loaf so that breakfast would be a “one stop” affair? So for my fifth post for Liberté, I set about creating the perfect breakfast loaf. I have a couple of favourite recipes for banana bread that I use on a regular basis and this is a melange of a couple of them plus a favourite muffin recipe! I used Liberté Honey Greek yogurt 0% for a little added sweetness.
The resulting loaf was the perfect breakfast (or, let’s face it – any time of the day snack). Light yet substantial (the yogurt provides the protein we all need at breakfast) with some different textures thanks to the granola and moist thanks to the yogurt. I replaced butter with a small amount of vegetable oil which I think helped it stay moist for 5 days after I baked it (it does well reheated in the microwave for about 30 seconds), it’s a recipe I will be making again and again.
Banana bread with granola and Greek yogurt
Breakfast in a slice - bananas, granola and yogurt in one tasty loaf!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Liberté Honey Greek yogurt 0%
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granola
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Lightly oil a 9" loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, flax baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, brown sugar, yogurt, and oil.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- Gently fold in the granola and bananas.
- Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan and bake fro about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin. Serve warm.
- The loaf keeps well for a few days - to freshen it up, pop a slice in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds.
Breakfast in a slice? What could be more perfect? Well actually, Neil thinks that this might be better with some chocolate chips in it – and perhaps it would – what I love about recipes like this is how easy they are to customise with add-ins (think dried fruits, nuts, chocolate chips….)
For more fabulous recipes and to discover their Greek yogurt line, visit Liberté now.
* Did you enter my illy artists’ collection giveaway yet? Open to US/Canada, Contest ends Monday, April 16th, 2012 at 9pm EST. Winner chosen via Random.org and announced Tuesday April 17th