I’m excited to present this Petits Chefs post on behalf of Hunt’s Tomatoes and UrbanMoms.ca. When they approached me to see if I would like to be involved in this campaign, my initial response was “I don’t have children” but then I thought, what better way to prove that dinner doesn’t have to be stressful and that a healthy, from-scratch meal can be made in 20 minutes or under than with my Petits Chefs? After all, we’re the masters of the
kitchen science lab and produce amazing things in under an hour!
Hunt’s and UrbanMoms have teamed together to create 20-minute meals to help ease the burden of meal preparation and are hosting The Hunt’s Tomato Cookoff. Visit UrbanMoms to check out the recipes and to enter the contest to win a Slow Cooker and range of Hunt’s products.
For this 20 minute meal, I recreated something that I used to make on a regular basis when I was at university and just starting to learn to cook for myself. The recipe is actually adapted from – of all things – a diced tomato can label. I’ve changed it up a little to make it quicker (and, I think, tastier) and the word on the street is that the boys (and their parents) loved this dish. A few said it could have been spicier – I agree and I am sure that Mr Neil, who had this for lunch last week, would agree – but better to err on the side of caution when it comes to spice!
It is such an easy recipe and very versatile – as well as tomatoes and peppers, you could add any other vegetable you like (in my notes on the 20 year old label, it says “leeks and mushrooms” so clearly I was adding other stuff too). Up to you how many veggies you want and how spicy but the point is that if 11 little boys can make this in about 30 minutes on hot plates only, you can make this for dinner.
We practised our knife skills…
Sweet Chili Chicken
A sweet and spicy chicken dish that will please both adults and kids. A 20 minute from-scratch meal - what could be easier?
- 900g chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- approx 800g canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 peppers, sliced in thin strips
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley, to garnish
- Trim the chicken thighs, leaving some of the fat.
- Cut the chicken into small strips.
- Combine the flour, sugar and chili powder in a large bowl, making sure the chili and sugar are evenly distributed.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, using your hands to coat evenly.
- Heat ½ the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the pepper strips and sauté gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add the drained tomatoes and stir to combine peppers and tomatoes.
- Cover and lower heat, simmering for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a heavy frypan over a high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and pan fry until golden brown,about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the tomato mixture and stir to combine well. Simmer on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve over plain white rice with a garnish of chopped parsley.
Discolsure: I am a member of the UrbanMoms Network and received compensation for writing this post about the UrbanMoms Hunt’s Tomato Cook-off. Opinions expressed belong to eat. live. travel. write. and are not influenced in any way. The compensation I receive will be donated towards the Les Petits Chefs programme to purchase some extra equipment for the boys.