Posted by https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2011/05/spaghetti-and-from-scratch-meatballs/
© 2011 eat. live. travel. write.. All rights reserved.
Spaghetti and from-scratch meatballs
2 hrs 45 mins
Homemade meatballs - easier than you would think!
- 500g pork shoulder, diced into 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons 35% cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 900 mls tomato sauce (I used a jar that I bought at Lailey Vineyards, but any high quality jarred sauce will do)
- For the pork: Mix the pork with the garlic, shallot, parsley, thyme and oregano. Cover and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, placing in the freezer for the last 30 minutes. Use the Kitchen Aid meat grinding attachment to grind the meat and herbs together. Now use the paddle attachment, add the wine to the minced meat and combine for about a minute.
- For the meatballs: Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add the breadcrumbs, cream and parmesan to the meat and combine well. Using your hands, form meatballs. This amount made 25 decent sized ones or about 50 smaller ones.
- Brown meatballs in a heavy skillet or frying pan in olive oil then place in an oven-proof dish. Cover with the tomato sauce. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30-45 minutes (longer for the larger sized meatballs). Serve over cooked spaghetti or bucatini.