Creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Soup and Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 small red pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (796 mL/28 fl oz) whole tomatoes, undrained
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 125 g (1/2 of 250g block) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cubed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- For the grilled cheese sandwiches:
- 4 slices white bread (I like to use something a little robust like a country loaf)
- Enough cheese for 2 sandwiches (sliced or grated, however you prefer)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened to spreadable
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and red pepper.
- Cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken stock, bring to the boil then cover.
- Simmer for approximately 8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Add tomatoes and pepper and stir.
- Return to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream cheese.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Return to a low heat and cover, keeping warm while you prepare the grilled cheese sandwiches.
- To make the sandwiches:
- Place a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Spread outside of each slice of bread with butter.
- Fill the sandwiches with the cheese.
Cook in the skillet on medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown on both sides.
- Sprinkle the soup with the basil.
- Serve the soup and the sandwiches immediately.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2014/04/whats-cooking-grilled-cheese-month/