Creamy skillet shrimp and rice with broccoli
Author: Mardi Michels adapted from Kraft Canada
Recipe type: Main
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 6 green onions finely sliced
- 1lb (454g) frozen large shrimp , thawed, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups 25% less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 125g (1/2 a 250g tub) Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese Spread
- about 2 cups leftover cooked white rice
- Heat the oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots and green onions and sautée until soft, but not browning.
- Add the shrimp and cook for approximately 3-4 minutes on each side until the shrimp turn pink.
- Remove shrimp and onion-shallot mixture from the skillet and cover to keep warm.
- Increase the heat to high, add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook until desired level of "doneness" is achieved (I like my broccoli a little 'al dente' as opposed to too soft, especially in a dish like this).
- Turn down the heat to low and add the cream cheese.
- Stir until it is mostly combined then add the rice, cooking for about a minute, just to heat through.
- Remove from heat and stir through the shrimp and onion-shallot mixture.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2014/03/whats-cooking-creamy-skillet-shrimp-and-rice-with-broccoli/