Flourless chocolate-hazelnut cake
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Dessert
- 175g dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g butter, chopped
- 6 eggs, separated
- 75g granulated sugar
- 130g hazelnut meal (ground hazelnuts)
- whipping cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm diameter springform cake pan.
- Combine chocolate and butter in a small saucepan and melt over low heat. Whisk until melted and well-combined.
- Place egg whites in a medium-sized bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, beat until the whites are at the glossy, soft-peak stage. Set aside.
- Now beat the egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl until light in colour and thick and creamy.
- Add chocolate/butter mixture to the egg yolks and, using a rubber spatula, mix to combine.
- Add the hazelnut meal and gently fold the mix until the hazelnut meal is completely combined.
- Add ⅓ of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Gently fold in until you cannot see any more streaks of white.
- Repeat with remaining egg white, ⅓ at a time.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes - a skewer inserted into the middle will show some crumbs.
- Cool the cake in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and cook completely on a wire cake rack.
- Will keep overnight, at room temperature, covered with plastic wrap or foil.
- Serve with cream.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2014/02/flourless-chocolate-hazelnut-cake-for-world-nutella-day-2014/