Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: makes 12 cupcakes
- 90g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 60g sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- zest of one large orange, divided
- 60g almond meal
- 70g all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon powdered food colouring (optional but makes for a better "Jaffa" effect!
- ¼ cup orange juice
- For the ganache:
- 75g marmalade
- 15g liquid honey
- 150g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 25g unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Prepare 12 muffin tins by lining with paper cases.
- Cream butter and sugar using an electric beater until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing until just combined.
- Add ½ of the orange zest, almond meal, flour, and baking powder and mix with a rubber spatula to combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peaks and gently fold through the batter with the food colouring.
- Fill each paper cupcake liner about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool thoroughly.
- Now, make the ganache:
- Heat the marmalade and honey in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Once the syrup is boiling, pour over the chocolate whisking constantly.
- Once the mixture is smooth add the butter and whisk to incorporate.
- Drizzle over the cupcakes with a small spoon.
- Sprinkle the cupcakes with coconut.
- (there will be leftover ganache - you can keep it in the fridge and re-heat gently over a bain marie or in the microwave at low power and use to drizzle over ice-cream etc…)
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2014/02/jaffington-cupcakes-for-national-cupcake-day/