What's cooking? Vegetarian Chili
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Main
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- olive oil for drizzling
- sprinkle of chill pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, small dice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (796 ml) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (540 ml) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (540 ml) can mixed beans, rinsed
- chill pepper flakes to taste
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- about a cup of Kraft Cracker Barrel Extra Old Cheddar, grated
- avocado slices to serve
- fresh cilantro to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 375˚F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small cubes (think about the size of a kidney bean - you don't want them to be giant in comparison).
- Toss in olive oil and spread evenly on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle with red chill pepper flakes.
- Roast for about 40 minutes - they will still be a little firm.
- Remove from oven and drain on a paper towel until you are ready to use them in the chill.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Satué the garlic for a 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, cumin and coriander and stir to coat the carrots with the garlic/ oil/ spices.
- Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and kidney beans, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add the chill pepper flakes and stock and reduce heat to medium-low so the mix is simmering.
- Half-cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sweet potatoes and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Make sure sweet potatoes are heated through before serving.
- Serve with avocado slices, fresh chopped cilantro and the grated cheese.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2014/01/whats-cooking-vegetarian-chili/