French apple tarts
Author: Mardi Michels adapted from www.onapples.com
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 large Ontario apples (For best results, use Ontario Empire, Cortland, Crispin, Golden Delicious, Idared, Northern Spy, or Spartan apples), peeled and sliced
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 tablespoons plain Greek yoghurt
- ¼ cup apricot of passionfruit jelly/ jam
- On lightly floured surface roll out half of puff pastry dough into a 9 inch (23 cm) square. Cut dough into four 4.5 inch (11.5 cm) squares; place on baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place baking trays in the fridge while you prepare the apples.
- In large bowl toss apple slices with lemon juice and sugar.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and brush the beaten egg over, coating to the edges.
- Spread the Greek yoghurt over the pastry squares, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Lay the apple slices on pastry, overlapping slightly.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes, then sprinkle a little more sugar over the apples.
- Return tarts to oven and bake about 10 minutes longer or until pastry is puffed and golden.
- Prepare glaze:
- When the tarts are baked, brush the glaze over the top of the apples and the edges of the pastry.
- Serve the tarts warm or at room temperature.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2013/12/french-apple-tarts/