Salted caramel chocolate squares
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 40 pieces
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 225g cold unsalted butter cut into chunks
- Salted caramel filling
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 can (300 mls) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 200g Bakers' semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup (60g/ 60 mls) heavy cream
- sea salt, to garnish
- First, make the base.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Line 1 13x9-inch pan with parchment paper, with the ends of parchment extending over sides.
- Process flour, sugar and cinnamon in food processor until blended.
- Add butter; pulse until mixture starts coming together (it will be a little crumbly still).
- Press the dough onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Cool in the pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare Filling.
Bring all ingredients to boil in a saucepan on medium-high heat, whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer on medium-low heat 5 minutes, continuing to str constantly.
- Remove from heat, pour over the cookie base.
- Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Now make the topping
Boil the cream, pour over chocolate chips and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Using a whisk, slowly begin to incorporate the cream into the chocolate and continue to stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel, tilting pan to ensure the caramel is evenly covered.
- Sprinkle some sea salt over the top of the chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm before removing from the pan by lifting the parchment.
- Cut into small squares (this is very rich!).
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2013/12/whats-cooking-salted-caramel-chocolate-squares/