Slow cooker baked potato soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 8 slices bacon, chopped into small cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 litre chicken broth, divided
- About 6 large baking potatoes, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 175g Kraft Cracker Barrel Extra Old Cheddar cheese (or any sharp cheddar), grated
- 1 cup skim milk
- To garnish
- ½ cup plain Greek yoghurt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 8 green onions, finely sliced
- approx ¼ cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- Fry bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon, reserving a little of the bacon fat in the skillet.
- Drain the bacon on paper towels and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add onions to drippings in skillet, cook over mediun-high heat until they start to soften.
- Add flour to the pan and cook for approximately 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add 1 cup broth and allow the sauce to come to a boil.
- Pour into slow cooker. Stir in remaining broth and add the potatoes; cover with lid.
- Cook on HIGH for approximately 2.5 hours (will depend on your slow cooker - the original recipe called for 5-6 hours but mine was ready in just over 2)
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer 4 cups of potatoes to a medium bowl; mash until smooth.
- Add about ¾ of the grated cheese to the slow cooker; stir until melted.
- Stir in mashed potatoes and milk.
- Cover the soup and cook for approximately 5 minutes, until heated through.
- Serve the soup topped with the Greek yogurt, bacon, chives, green onions, almonds and the remaining cheese.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2013/11/whats-cooking-slow-cooker-baked-potato-soup/