Easy homemade mayonnaise
Author: Mardi Michels adapted from Dorie Greenspan
Recipe type: Condiments
Serves: approx ¾ cup
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (not grainy)
- between ⅔ and 1 cup mild oil (I used canola oil but you could use olive oil if you want a stronger flavour) - I used about ¾ cup for the consistency I prefer
- Place the egg yolk, lemon juice and mustard in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add a pinch of salt and whir to blend.
- Pouring very slowly, drizzle in about ½ of the oil, (going very very slowly), continuing to whir constantly.
- Once about ½ of the oil is blended in (the mix should be starting to look like mayonnaise by now), you can add the rest of the oil in a steadier stream.
- Keep checking the mixture and stop when it's the consistency you want (some like it a little thinner, some prefer a thicker mayonnaise)
- Season to taste (a this point you might wish to add a little more mustard or lemon juice - make sure you whir to thoroughly combine before you serve).
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2013/05/easy-homemade-mayonnaise/