Mini trifles for the holidays
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 4 individual trifles
- approximately 12 thin slices pound cake
- about ½ cup of rakia or fruit brandy/ eau de vie/ Poire Williams/ Calvados
- approximately 4 cups prepared custard or pastry cream
- 4 cups mixed berries, sliced in halves if they are larger
- 4-6 tablespoons whipped cream
- Briefly soak the pound cake slices in the fruit brandy. Don't let it get too soggy.
- In tumbler-style glasses, layer the cake, berries and custard alternately.
- Top with dollops of whipped cream.
- Serve immediately or cover tumblers with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed - not too long though otherwise the cake will completely collapse into a puddle of brandy.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2012/11/rakia-bar-toronto-and-a-recipe-for-trifle/