Chili con carne
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Main
- 12 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g lean ground beef
- 500g stewing beef
- 300g canned diced tomatoes
- 500 mls beef stock
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 400g (1 tin) canned red kidney beans, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy frying pan, heat 6 tablespoons of the oil.
- Brown ground beef, then the stewing beef and drain on paper towels.
- Heat remaining oil in a large heavy saucepan and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beef and coat well with oil, onion and garlic mixture.
- Sauté on medium-high heat until evenly browned.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and tomato paste and combine well.
- Add the seasonings (chili powder, cumin and oregano) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Add the beans and continue to simmer, uncovered for a further 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, roughly chopped.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2012/11/a-bowl-of-comfort-food-bloggers-support-for-sandy/