Nana Russell's plum cake
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Cake
- 60 g butter, at room temperature
- 112 g sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 170 g self raising (cake and pastry) flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 5-6 plums, halved and pitted
- caster sugar for sprinkling on top of the plums.
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚F.
- Butter and flour an 8" square baking tin.
- With electric beaters, cream butter, sugar and lemon zest.
- Add the eggs one at time, beating well after each addition.
- Add half the flour and continue to mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add half the milk gradually and continue to mix until just combined.
- Add the rest of the flour and mix well.
- Add the rest of the milk and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Place the plum halves, cut side up, on top of the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the plum halves with a little caster sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden brown on top.
- Serve warm.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2012/09/plum-cake-for-nana/