Author: Rossy Earle
Recipe type: Side
Serves: 2 as a side
- 2 ripe plantain - not too soft
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 tsp ground
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- a pinch white pepper
- ½ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional - crumbled Queso Fresco or fresh mozzarella or feta cheese
- Peel and cut the plantain into 1" slices.
- Place all ingredients in a frying pan, except butter and vanilla.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add plantain slices making sure they’re covered with the liquid. Top with a bit more water if necessary.
- Mix and let cook for around 15-20 minutes. As the sugar & spices blend, the natural starch from the plantain will make the liquid thicker.
- At this point, stir in butter & vanilla.
- Once they are caramelized & soft, they are ready. Do not overcook as they will get mushy.
- Serve hot with cheese crumbled on top.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2012/05/les-petits-chefs-make-temptation-plantain-with-chef-rossy-earle/