Chicken with tomatoes and honey
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Main
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 2 x 800ml cans diced tomatoes, 1 can drained
- 1.5 kg chicken thighs, trimmed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- fresh chopped parsley, to serve
- Melt butter over medium-high heat until bubbling.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, ginger and tomatoes stir to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces, stir well then cover and cook over medium heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the sauce, keep warm (in the oven, covered with tin foil).
- Turn up the heat on the sauce to reduce it until sizzling - the tomatoes will start to caramelize a little - stirring constantly so the sauce does not stick and burn.
- Stir in the honey and lemon zest return the chicken to the sauce and heat through.
- Serve over warm couscous and top with the parsley.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2012/02/comfort-food-chicken-with-tomatoes-and-honey/