Coconut shrimp with lime and chili
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Appetiser
- 24 uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined with tails left intact
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, beaten until frothy
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- zest of one lime
- 2 litres oil (I used 1 litre canola oil and 1 litre coconut oil)
- Fill deep fryer with the oil and pre-heat to 350˚F.
- Mix the flour and chili powder.
- Dredge the shrimp in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess
- Dip each shrimp in the egg white mix, allowing excess to drain.
- Mix the coconut and the lime zest.
- Dip each shrimp in the coconut/ lime zest mix.
- Place 4-6 shrimp (depending on size) in the fryer basket and fry at 350˚F for 5 minutes.
- Remove basket from oil and allow to drain.
- Serve immediately with sweet chili dipping sauce.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2011/12/canadian-tire-kitchen-crew-holiday-appetizers/