Individual cinnamon spice French toast puddings with maple-caramelized apples
Author: Mardi Michels adapted from Dianne McComb
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced thinly peeled
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 slices day-old baguette or egg bread
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the apples and coat well with the butter. On a medium heat, cook them down until they are just slightly mushy.
- Add the maple syrup and turn up the heat to medium-high.
- Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚F.
- Butter six 6oz ramekins
- Tear up the bread roughly and divide evenly amongst the ramekins.
- Divid the maple apples between the ramekins, placing both on and under the bread pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, custard powder and spices.
- Pour the custard over the bread and apple mixture, only filling the ramekins about ¾ of the way up the side. The mixture will puff up when it cooks.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with maple syrup.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2011/10/individual-cinnamon-spice-french-toast-puddings-with-maple-caramelized-apples/