Apple-cranberry crumble with lemon custard
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: dessert
- 8 cups sliced, peeled apples
- 8 tablespoons dried cranberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablesooons custard powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons flax meal (ground flax seeds)
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
- Preheat oven to 350˚F
- Lightly grease 8 small ramekins.
- Layer apples and cranberries in the ramekins.
- Whisk together sugar and custard powder.
- Whisk in eggs, milk, lemon zest and lemon extract until frothy, pour over the apples.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and flax meal.
- Add the butter cubes and, with your fingers mix well until the butter is pea-sized and well combined.
- Sprinkle crumble over apples and custard.
- bake until the apples are tender, the custard is bubbling and the crumble cripsy - about 35 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice-cream
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2011/09/canadian-tire-kitchen-crew-mission-2-2-apple-crumble-and-a-holiday-cobbler-for-the-international-incident-party/