Nachos, Costa Baja style
Author: Mardi Michels
Recipe type: Snack
- about 6 handsful of tortilla chips
- 200g sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, finely diced
- 1 tomato (I used yellow from our garden), finely diced
- Heat oven broiler (grill) to high.
- In a baking dish, layer about 1/3 of the tortilla chips and 1/3 of the cheese. Broil for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melting and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, take the beans, onion and cilantro and blend with either a fork or an immersion blender until you achieve the texture you want. I like mine a little smooth and a little chunky.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and layer on 1/2 the beans and about 1/2 of the salsa, top with some more cheese.
- Briefly place back under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
- Layer more nachos, beans and salsa, top with more cheese.
- Broil again until cheese has melted.
- Top with more salsa, the tomato and avocado.
- Sprinkle a little chopped cilantro on top and serve hot with lime quarters.
Recipe by eat. live. travel. write. at http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2011/10/travel-tuesday-nachos-costa-baja-style/