(Some more details about the pork belly curing from Mr Neil, Master Butcher): Here are the two curing mixes for comparison. Both use the Basic Dry Cure mix as a base, with slightly different proportions. Then there are various spices and sugars. On the right, the Maple Bacon cure. It features maple sugar flakes, just […]
Neil has the pork belly curing!! Here are some pictures and commentary of the process which took place this weekend, Supplies pulled out, ready to go: Close-up of the nutmeg, cross-section as it’s been ground… It’s an interesting spice. I’ve started to find it cropping up in all sorts of places: it’s not just for egg […]
Well Neil has dubbed our pig belly “George” though I am not too happy about personifying the pancetta…. In any case, both the pork belly and the curing salts are here! Me, I am in the airport on my way to Sydney, Australia so it’s now in Neil’s capable hands… (I won’t show the fat […]
View Larger Map Yup, Listowel, Ontario will be supplying us with the pork belly to be cured for the BLT challenge. Can’t wait! Since I am off to Australia later today, Neil will be in charge of this portion (phew! good timing, huh!!?) but will faithfully take photos for the record. And no, Neil, you […]
Ok, so we’ve planted the plants for the BLT challenge. We have even convinced friends to plant the arugula for the “greens”. Neil has ordered the pork belly from our local organic butcher – Rowe Farms. I ordered the curing salts. Today the kosher salts arrived for the curing. Cleo is VERY interested:
what are you looking for?
- Mary Hirsch on Happy Birthday Dorie: French Fridays bakes from Baking Chez Moi!
- Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva on Happy Birthday Dorie: French Fridays bakes from Baking Chez Moi!
- Cakelaw on Happy Birthday Dorie: French Fridays bakes from Baking Chez Moi!
- Teresa on Happy Birthday Dorie: French Fridays bakes from Baking Chez Moi!
- Betsy on Happy Birthday Dorie: French Fridays bakes from Baking Chez Moi!