More from Mr Neil, Master Butcher: Here’s the Maple Bacon, in its finished form. You can see the bits of maple sugar…they look like corn kernels. They say the reason it’s important to have a rather tight fit in the container is to aid in the curing process. The salts draw the liquid out of […]
(Some more details about the pork belly curing from Mr Neil, Master Butcher): Here are the two curing mixes for comparison. Both use the Basic Dry Cure mix as a base, with slightly different proportions. Then there are various spices and sugars. On the right, the Maple Bacon cure. It features maple sugar flakes, just […]
Neil has the pork belly curing!! Here are some pictures and commentary of the process which took place this weekend, Supplies pulled out, ready to go: Close-up of the nutmeg, cross-section as it’s been ground… It’s an interesting spice. I’ve started to find it cropping up in all sorts of places: it’s not just for egg […]
Well Neil has dubbed our pig belly “George” though I am not too happy about personifying the pancetta…. In any case, both the pork belly and the curing salts are here! Me, I am in the airport on my way to Sydney, Australia so it’s now in Neil’s capable hands… (I won’t show the fat […]
View Larger Map Yup, Listowel, Ontario will be supplying us with the pork belly to be cured for the BLT challenge. Can’t wait! Since I am off to Australia later today, Neil will be in charge of this portion (phew! good timing, huh!!?) but will faithfully take photos for the record. And no, Neil, you […]
what are you looking for?
- Janet Butler on The Second Cup Piaggio sampling truck: offering Canadians the Flat White across the country!
- Kathy on French Fridays with Dorie: Tuna and Mango Ceviche
- Christina D on The Second Cup Piaggio sampling truck: offering Canadians the Flat White across the country!
- Paula on What’s cooking? Apple crisp
- Geoff on Les Petits Chefs make bread, butter and jam!
- What’s cooking? Apple crisp
- French Fridays with Dorie: Tuna and Mango Ceviche
- The Second Cup Piaggio sampling truck: offering Canadians the Flat White across the country!
- Les Petits Chefs make bread, butter and jam!
- Food Revolution Ambassador monthly challenge for September 2014: Specialty diets (Gluten Free)