Happy Australia Day! I know it’s nearly over back in Australia but it’s just starting here and what better way to celebrate than with a classic childhood treat – homemade frog cakes! Say what…? No, no, no, don’t worry – these don’t have anything to do with frogs, except a slight resemblance and, well, they […]
Aaah – Haigh’s Chocolates. The name evokes thoughts of silky smooth chocolates in the shape of frogs: and chocolate teddies: On a trip to the factory store today, I also spotted these: Haigh’s is truly an Adelaide institution, established in 1915. You can read about their history here. My all-time favourite chocolates from Haigh’s would […]
Mmmmm – Menz Confectionery! The mere mention brings back happy memories of mouths filled with delicious treats from my childhood… Treats such as Apricot Delight: Milk bottles: Witchetie grubs: (ok, confession here, I never ate these “grub shaped white and yellow confection” but couldn’t resist the picture!). Candy bananas: (yes cos they look very natural… […]
Aren’t they lovely??? But what are they?? Why it’s a frog cake, of course – they even have a Wikipedia entry! It’s a basic sponge cake square with a jam layer in the middle coated in thick fondant (brown, pink or green) icing with a round “head” made of sticky sweet cream and slit to […]
what are you looking for?
- French Fridays: One day in Toulouse in August – ideas for food enthusiasts!
- Back to reality: A fresh lunchbox idea
- Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Esquimaux Pops for Grown-Ups
- Walking (part of) the Camino de Santiago: Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Valcarlos
- French Fridays: Cherry tomato crostini with homemade herbed goat cheese from My Paris Kitchen