Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Plum Crumb Tart

Dorie Greenspan Plumb Crumb Tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was the perfect dessert to celebrate one year of French home-ownership.  This was enjoyed after a simple, yet superb, dinner of roast chicken (the new oven passed the “roast chicken test”), roast potatoes and ratatouille enjoyed out on our terrace paired with a wonderful Tavel rosé.  I wasn’t able to use cherries as there were none to be found on the market so we substituted plums instead. They worked a treat, as would, I imagine, any other stone fruit.

On reading the recipe it looks a little complicated but each stage is fairly simple to make in itself.  Basically it’s a buttery shortcrust topped with frangipane (an almond cream) layered with cherries (in my case, plums), then topped with a buttery crumble. We served this at room temperature and even lacking the ice cream we thought it might benefit from, it went down a treat. Some people had seconds. Others were excited by the prospect of leftovers for breakfast the next day.

Slice of Dorie Greenspan's Plum Crumb Tart from Baking Chez Moi for Tuesdays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comDorie, you’ve simply outdone yourself with this one. Outstanding.

And never fear, our future rental guests will be able to recreate this for themselves since all the equipment they need is in the kitchen and Baking Chez Moi is in the house cookbook collection (bien sûr!).

I’ll be making this again. And mum, if you’re reading – this is a dessert that dad would very much enjoy (just saying….).

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Cherry Crumb Tart here or on p 148 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , ,

17 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Plum Crumb Tart

1. Cakelaw August 11, 2015 at 03:13 #

This was a delightful tart, wasn’t it, and plums are an excellent substitute for cherries.

2. Nicole August 11, 2015 at 08:28 #

Congratulations on your French home ownership! What a great thing! Your setting for such a wonderful meal sounds ideal. Like you, I also used plums as cherries here are definitely out.

3. Margrét Jóhanna August 11, 2015 at 11:47 #

Congratulation on your house in France. Your tart looks lovely and the curst is not too dark. We really liked this one and you can use all kinds of fruit even frozen as I did so there is no excuse over the winter months not to have a great tart.

4. Ryan August 11, 2015 at 12:18 #

Congratulations! You sound like Dorie v2.0! Great idea with using plums as a cherry substitute! Your tart looks amazing (I didn’t realize that plums would turn pink when they bake)!

• Mardi Michels August 12, 2015 at 03:26 #

I love plums and these WERE a great sub. Re: the colour, these plums were deep pink on the inside already so….

5. Diane Zwang August 11, 2015 at 19:12 #

Happy Anniversary. I hope you are enjoying your trips to France. Good touch on stocking a copy of the cookbook:)

6. flourishen test kitchen August 12, 2015 at 08:06 #

What a cheerful looking plum tart on a red plate! Happy anniversary.

7. Zosia August 12, 2015 at 08:24 #

I’m glad you enjoyed it. The plums sound like they were a great alternative to the cherries. Unfortunately, this tart was just too buttery for me.

8. steph (whisk/spoon) August 12, 2015 at 13:15 #

Happy France home anniversary–so lucky! This looks delicious–those plums are an amazing color!

9. Kathy August 12, 2015 at 16:18 #

This one really was marvelous! It got two thumbs up in my house! Yours looks beautiful!

10. Mary Hirsch August 12, 2015 at 22:20 #

I probably am just as excited about the oven passing the “roast chicken” test as I am knowing that you are joining Team Crumb Tart with a thumbs up this week. Everyone seems to have loved this dessert although, I do agree, it seems a bit complicated at first. I finally got the Brown Butter-Peach Tourte baked this week. This is peach season around here but our cherries are wonderful as well. Plums sound good to me. Mardi, I am so happy you both are celebrating Year #1 and know you will celebrate many anniversaries of all kinds in your maison française.

11. Nana August 14, 2015 at 08:03 #

Your plum tart looks great, I will have to make one before the summer is over. I prefer that over
    the cherry tart, but Jim loves them both. Happy Anniversary, I’m sure you are both having a ball with all the planning and such on your home, it must be such fun.

12. Cathleen | My Culinary Mission August 14, 2015 at 23:55 #

Looks wonderful made with plumbs!! And I’m sure it tasted delicious. I love that you have the book available to your renters – maybe the page for this needs a little dog-ear or sticky note. 😉

13. Mr. Neil August 16, 2015 at 04:46 #

This one is already making a run for the (eventual) “best of” list Mardi will be asking me for suggestions from this book, once she’s baked her way through it. 🙂

14. Margaret @approachingfood August 16, 2015 at 22:51 #

I can totally understand eating seconds of your plum tart — sound delish! And your photos are great!

15. Teresa August 22, 2015 at 20:31 #

What a wonderful way to celebrate an exciting anniversary! I love that Dorie’s books will be available for your guests to use. So sweet!

16. Sarah R. August 25, 2015 at 05:13 #

Congratulations on the anniversary! I’m a little bit jealous, but I love getting to experience your adventures via social media! I loved this recipe, and I’m pretty sure I’ll be trying it again with all the different fruit choices I’ve been seeing on the posts!