French Fridays with Dorie: Curried chicken, peppers and peas en papillote

Curried Chicken, Peppers and Peas en Papillote on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe is more a reminder of a technique than a “recipe” per se.  Curried chicken, peppers and peas en papillote essentially translates to chicken with a few vegetables and a little curry, all wrapped in a pretty parcel of foil, then baked in the oven.  It’s very easy to customise  according to what vegetables you have on hand and it bakes up pretty fast (about 20 minutes) so it can be a quick, nutritious weeknight dinner.  We served it over rice, although I imagine egg noodles would have been nice too.

Dorie Greenspan Curried Chicken, Peppers and Peas en Papillote on eatlivetravelwrite.comAlthough I used hot curry powder, the heat wasn’t very pronounced so I might amp the heat up more another time but it was a perfect lunch in the middle of long weekend basement cleanup and the leftovers reheated nicely too.

Like so many recipes in Around my French Table, this reminded me of “that great technique I had forgotten about”. Certainly in the busy first few weeks of school, this is a dish/ technique that will come in handy. Dinner on the table in under an hour? Yes please!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s curried chicken, peppers and peas en papillote here or on page 221 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

__________

Eiffel tower

NEW: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me in March 2015 with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local” Details here.

_______

Canadians: Win a $100 Longo’s gift card! Ends September 10th 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , , , ,

18 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Curried chicken, peppers and peas en papillote

1. Liz September 5, 2014 at 06:46 #

Beautiful! I love the idea of serving it over rice. I’ll have to try it with curry next…maybe Bill won’t balk if I use half the amount called for in the recipe!

2. EmilyC September 5, 2014 at 06:52 #

and if you add some coconut cream into the pack and then serve it over blanced noodles….. super yumms!

3. Ei September 5, 2014 at 07:02 #

Every time I make this, I hit it with more and more spice. It never seems to hold the flavor! It’s so easy, I don’t really care that it’s hard to jazz up. Love all the colors!

4. Mr. Neil September 5, 2014 at 08:22 #

I think the spice issue is partly time…a good curry needs time to slow-cook those spices into the meat more, methinks.

But this was delish, and I paired with a — wait for it — Brazilian Chardonnay. No, that isn’t what jumped to my mind, specifically…but I recently picked up an intriguing collection of Brazilian wines, and this seemed a great opportunity to try one.

(And yes, for those with raised eyebrows: it was quite drinkable.)

5. Betsy September 5, 2014 at 08:23 #

I love how colorful it looks, and how easy it sounds. I’m on the fence whether I’m making this for dinner tonight (I didn’t plan ahead this week), but you are tipping me over to the “convinced” side.

6. Nana September 5, 2014 at 16:38 #

Simple and delicious. What’s not to love. Yours looks so good.

7. Cakelaw September 5, 2014 at 17:23 #

This was good wasn’t it – so easy and quick and tasty.

8. Kathy September 5, 2014 at 19:05 #

I bet it was perfect over rice! I love cooking en Papillote…and yet I don’t do it enough! Yours looks great!

9. Diane Balch September 5, 2014 at 19:59 #

I never liked this technique and I enjoyed it this time, usually I find en paillote meals come out too bland most of the time. It usually has to to be something really delicate to work, but this surprised me. It worked.

10. TheKitchenLioness September 6, 2014 at 01:10 #

Mardi, your chicken on papillote looks so colorful and healthy! Love that you served it with rice – I went with some carrot couscous, no bad either!
    Have a nice weekend – hope you got off to a great start to the new schoolyear,
    Andrea

11. Jamie September 6, 2014 at 06:18 #

You have reminded me that I haven’t made anything en papillote for years! I love this chicken dish; it looks delicious!

12. yummychunklet September 6, 2014 at 20:29 #

Very delicious and colorful looking!

13. Teresa September 7, 2014 at 00:59 #

I know what you mean about the reminder – I prefer this method to frying any day, but I often don’t think to use it. I served it with the cardamom rice pilaf and the flavours worked really well together. I love how healthy a dinner it was, with so little effort.

14. Cher September 7, 2014 at 14:47 #

Yes, this is always a great technique (although, I still prefer fish in the middle of my packet over chicken!).
    Hope the basement project came out well – it’s scrub down the kitchen day in Chez Cher :-)

15. Margaet September 7, 2014 at 19:19 #

This was so pretty and so tasty. And SOOO easy. Yours looks perfect with the rice.

16. Diane Zwang September 7, 2014 at 21:00 #

We served this with rice also. It made a great fast meal.

17. Tricia September 7, 2014 at 22:19 #

I am with you totally on enjoying the “technique” shared this week as much as what Dorie had us fill the package with. I definitely want to play with more spices so that I can make use of those veggies that need to get moved…all while getting a healthy dinner on the table quickly and easily. Yay that.

18. Guyla September 8, 2014 at 11:37 #

Yours looks delicious as always Mardi! We didn’t love it but the technique is a good one to remember.