French Fridays with Dorie: Couscous salad

Lemon chicken with Couscous Salad from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe was exactly what we needed to help ease us back into life in Toronto (for me, after nearly 8 weeks in France!). In fact some form of couscous salad is a staple in my French fridge, along with grated carrot salad and céleri rémoulade) but these tend to be store-bought, rather than homemade, simply for the convenience factor (lack of equipment and not wishing to purchase an entire spice rack for a short stay).

In fact as soon as I started eating it, I was (nearly) transported back to somewhere in France. Even Mr Neil, who’s been on  a steady diet of cheese, wine and all things duck over the past couple of weeks, proclaimed this one “very good”. High praise indeed, following some of the fab food we’ve been eating recently!

It’s a simple recipe too – took no more than 15 minutes to throw together. Next time I will make a much bigger batch – I see a few of these salads in my lunch future!  This one contains raisins, cucumber, peppers, carrots and green beans with some cilantro, tumeric, cinnamon, cumin and ginger. It’s amazing what a burst of flavour these simple ingredients can have. I loved the bright colour thanks to the tumeric too.  We topped this with Dorie’s “bonne idée” suggestion of lemon grilled chicken and it was a perfect meal. Well, my idea of a perfect meal!

Dorie Greenspan Couscous Salad from Around my French Table on French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comVerdict? If you can’t go to France, bring the foods you love to eat in France to you. This has moved to the top of my list for “things to make big batches of on a Sunday night”. I love that you could easily switch up the spices and/ or veggies according to what you have on hand too. So, while it’s a little bit of a downer to be home, this kinda sorta made it a little better!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s couscous salad (and the lemon chicken) here or on page 136 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

, , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Couscous salad

1. Liz August 22, 2014 at 07:10 #

I love how you made this into a meal! And glad Mr. Neil approved, too (too much “funny stuff” in it for Bill). I wish I was a fan of standard couscous, but, though I will eat it, it’s not my favorite.

2. Mr. Neil August 22, 2014 at 10:18 #

I should say, a Mr. Neil “very good” is high praise indeed – given the standard of meals in our house. :-)

I really enjoyed this – and it paired beautifully with a $15 Chilean Chardonnay that blew me away with complexity at that price.

Before reading Mardi’s post, I was thinking “this was like a wee extension of France…”, and then she said that. I’m not saying I’m an unofficial ELTW ghostwriter or anything, but…. ;-)

3. Rose August 22, 2014 at 11:52 #

Wow, I think your the first to say that you want a bigger batch next time. There are exactly the kinds of meals which I love to have in my fridge as leftovers. But this recipe was a bit too generous, even for my leftover greedy self and I will be cutting it down a bit next time.

4. Mardi August 22, 2014 at 11:59 #

Actually I only made 1/3 of the recipe cos that’s all the couscous there was in the house!!!

5. Judit + Corina @ Glamorous Bite August 22, 2014 at 16:09 #

This looks great and we love the combination of flavors and spices!

6. Mary Hirsch August 22, 2014 at 23:14 #

Welcome home. I can’t wait for you to tell us more about your new digs in France. I liked this also and it’s a great way to use up leftover fruits and veggies. I think you said you started with 3 oz. of couscous so you didn’t need a bucket to serve it in. Man, 10 oz. makes couscous for the neighborhood.

7. EmilyC August 23, 2014 at 03:25 #

I will say that my two DDs should learn this recipe for quick and wow-factor dinners-at-home for guests! Easy peachy and so versatile! Grilled chicken is definitely do-able! for them!

8. EmilyC August 23, 2014 at 03:26 #

ps: I polished off that last portion accompanied by bitter-gourd fritters and sardines in tomato sauce for dinner last night!

9. Nana August 23, 2014 at 14:51 #

A diet of cheese, wine and all things duck, not a bad way to live. Even better when in France.
    Your couscous looks wonderful, and I also cut the recipe in half. Much too much for the two of
    us.

10. Tricia August 23, 2014 at 17:25 #

So fun to hear how this transports you back to France because for those of us state side too long, it didn’t initially feel like “french food” – even with Dorie’s background explanation. That said, we don’t pay too much attention to that in my household as all the recipes have simply been dubbed “Dorie Food” by my taste testers, so it simply comes down to whether we like it or not. And we liked it. I was so sorry I did not do that chicken as you did -looks fab and will be on the re-do to-do list.

• Teresa August 23, 2014 at 18:37 #

Tricia, that’s exactly what Kevin and my parents call these recipes, too.

11. Teresa August 23, 2014 at 18:40 #

I’m glad this made a nice transitional meal for you. Apart from the chopping, it was an easy one, too. I love having a big, flavourful salad like this in the fridge – it makes it so much easier to get on with things when you know you’ve got the basis of a delicious meal all ready to go.

12. Cher August 23, 2014 at 20:43 #

Welcome home!
    I like how you minified – even it it wasn’t intentional :-)
    We went with yogurt marinated grilled chicken and really liked the combo. Although, it felt a little more Moroccan than French to me. But since I’ve never been to either place, I will let my imagination believe it was a little of both!

13. Betsy August 23, 2014 at 21:41 #

Welcome home! How nice that this one kept your memories alive. It was a delicious salad, wasn’t it? So perfect for lunch. And so many possible variations to try!

14. Guyla August 24, 2014 at 09:58 #

Welcome back Mardi! This was a delicious salad! Yours looks great!

15. Diane Zwang August 24, 2014 at 15:20 #

We paired it with grilled lemon chicken also. A fabulous meal.

16. Kathy August 24, 2014 at 16:37 #

Your salad looks wonderfully delicious and perfectly paired with the grilled lemon chicken! I really wanted to like this salad…the couscous and veggies are favorites of mine…just wasn’t loving the spices. I think I’ll take your advice and cut them a bit. Welcome home! Have a great weekend, Mardi!

17. Janice @Kitchen Heals Soul August 24, 2014 at 19:25 #

Funny, I was just craving couscous salad! I used to hate raisins in couscous, but if they are nicely rehydrated & plumped, I am slowly becoming a fan of them, and I bet they’d be really good with all those spices.

18. Tami August 24, 2014 at 20:04 #

I’m always making couscous salad or millet salad with similar kinda ingredients…….next time I make couscous salad I’m going to sit on my magic carpet and wear my French beret – just so I can whisk myself away on holiday without even leaving the house :)

Tho the real ridgy didge thing would certainly be a better option – guess I will just have to make do with an upcoming trip to Cairns and Townsville…….aaaaah shops – other than KMart or Best n Less!!!!

My next couscous salad is definitely going to be this one Mardi – as you mentioned, just the turmeric makes it look simply amazing.

19. Cakelaw August 25, 2014 at 06:56 #

Looks delish – I think the grilled chicken was the perfect meaty accompaniment.

20. Coco in the Kitchen August 26, 2014 at 02:14 #

Is there anything better for dinner than fresh bread, cheese & wine??
    Love the colorful couscous. I’m craving it now. So it’s for dinner tonight!

21. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva August 29, 2014 at 22:52 #

I like Mr. Neil’s diet, that is one I could stick too!

This was such a lovely salad, and one that will be a regular in our kitchen. Your Jacques Pepin dinner looks fabulous also!