French Fridays with Dorie: Provençal vegetable soup

Provençal vegetable soup from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.com I’m a little bit in love with this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe – Provençal vegetable soup (p 83). Up until late last week, it hadn’t been very summery in Paris – in fact it had been downright cold. And raining. So when I invited Amy over for dinner on a freezing Sunday night, I couldn’t think of a better dish to serve than this one.

It’s basically a version of soupe au pistou – a soup packed with vegetables, beans, pesto and a little pasta. Amy and I ate ours with some of the ingredients as “add-ins” – I made croutons, we had either quinoa or pasta to add in, some basil, some extra pesto and some crunchy-fried garlic.

Dorie Greenspan provencal soup on eatlivetravelwrite.comAnd a soft-boiled egg. I can never go past a soft-boiled egg in a soup.

I was happy I had leftovers for a couple of days. Then I made this again. It’s the perfect summer soup.

Get the recipe for Dorie’s Provençal vegetable soup here.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

________________

Worldwide giveaway: Win a copy of “Olive Odyssey: Searching for the Secrets of the Fruit that Seduced the World – closes Sunday July 27th 2014 6pm EST.

___________

Many of you will know I’m in France for most of the summer. While I will be slowly blogging about things I do here, the best way to keep up with me will be by following my photos which you can do on my Summer 2014 set on Flickr or Instagram where I am @eatlivtravwrite (if you don’t have the app on your phone you can still check out the photos online.

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

, , , , , , ,

15 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Provençal vegetable soup

1. Liz July 25, 2014 at 05:45 #

Maybe Bill would have been pacified by an egg? What a gorgeous presentation!

PS…I looked for Merry after her presentation, but wasn’t able to connect! Rats.

2. EmilyC July 25, 2014 at 06:42 #

What a delightful spread! Love your variety of add-in!

3. Angel Reyes July 25, 2014 at 13:45 #

It looks really, really good! You make similar soups back home in Puerto Rico but we use rice instead of pasta/potatoes. Oh, and we drop the egg.

4. Betsy July 25, 2014 at 16:58 #

I enjoyed this one too. Love the egg in there! That takes it over the top. Will try that next time.

5. Nana July 25, 2014 at 17:01 #

Sounds like a wonderful meal. There is nothing like an egg to add to the flavor of things. I love poached eggs on a salad with a few lardons, perfect. The very first time I had that was in Paris and Hubby and I never forgot it.

6. Diane Balch July 25, 2014 at 20:13 #

We are having a mostly cool summer in NY so this soup was terrific for us too. Love the idea of adding egg will try that next time.

7. Kathy July 25, 2014 at 20:41 #

I would have really enjoyed the egg! Sounds perfect! Your photos are so appetizing…lovely presentation!

8. Candy (Dulce) July 26, 2014 at 11:32 #

I really like your idea of the add-ins. Though I have to say this was amazing. One of my favorite AMFT recipes I think. And all at a zillion degrees here in AZ! But it was wonderful.

I’ll have to try out your idea – oh, and an egg always sounds good too! I am so happy that you’re having a wonderful time in Paris. It sounds lovely – freezing days and all!!

9. Alice July 26, 2014 at 12:46 #

I love the idea of adding croutons & quinoa! : ) it’s just so versatile, isn’t it??

10. Mary Hirsch July 26, 2014 at 16:44 #

Nice job, Mardi. A hard-boiled egg appeals to me – never heard of adding it to soup. It’s been hot in Colorado but this soup was “light-hearted” enough to work in our 80-degree temperatures. It’s good to know that Paris’ weather is turning more friendly for all the tourists who are visiting. Hope that oven is getting repaired.

11. Cakelaw July 26, 2014 at 19:07 #

How fabulous – I am loving the soft boiled egg on top.

12. Ann Mah July 28, 2014 at 13:04 #

So pretty, Mardi! I can’t wait to whip up my annual soupe au pistou — I’m just waiting for fresh shell beans to appear in the market!

13. Mr. Neil July 28, 2014 at 16:14 #

Funny, the first thing that came to mind to me was: “a vegetarian bouillabaisse”!

14. Geoff July 28, 2014 at 18:49 #

Obviously, I can’t know how it tastes…. but the egg looks just great in that plate.

15. Cher July 31, 2014 at 20:51 #

You had me at crunchy fried garlic :-)