French Fridays with Dorie: salmon rillettes

Dorie Greenspan salmon rillettes from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comCan I tell you a little secret? I made this week’s French Fridays with Dorie dish (Salmon Rillettes, p 28) back in April 2012! The timestamp on the photos told me that! Let me explain… When I was making the dish for April 13th 2012 (that was supposed to be sardine rillettes), I (un)intentionally made them with smoked and poached salmon instead (read the post to see why). And since these were the ingredients for the REAL salmon rillettes on the next page, I went ahead and made those as well. So, 2 years ahead of myself. Because I knew they would come up eventually and I said at the time “You’ll be glad you’ve made and photographed these someday.”

Dorie Greenspan salmon rillettes on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis dish (the REAL salmon rillettes) is a mixture of poached and smoked salmon, chile, bay leaves, white wine, peppercorns and coriander seeds. Even to a non-salmon eater like me, it looked a lot more like rillettes than the supposed-to-be-sardine version with cream cheese or Neuchâtel cheese… And much prettier than the tuna rillettes from last month…

Salmon rillettes from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comI actually made a note that people enjoyed this although I wish I would have noted down who was at this gathering because I’d like to ask them if they remembered it now. But no matter. In this crazy times month of June, this stressed out teacher appreciated a week “off”. I can’t think of a week when I would have had less time to make something so this was actually perfect timing. Someone out there is looking out for me!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s salmon rillettes.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

, , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: salmon rillettes

1. Betsy June 6, 2014 at 11:57 #

I’ve always known you were a planner. This was way ahead of schedule though :) This was definitely the prettiest of the rillettes we’ve made. Yours still looks great two years later.

2. Rose June 6, 2014 at 14:05 #

It is a very pretty dish to pull out for fish-loving company. So hopefully not a total waste. And I can only imagine how pleased you must have been this week to have those gorgeous photos tucked away. Way to think ahead!

3. Angel Reyes June 6, 2014 at 17:23 #

I don’t like salmon, but I have to say this looks so beautiful I would eat it!

4. Cakelaw June 6, 2014 at 17:37 #

Nothing like being ready in advance! Definitely much prettier than the tuna version.

5. Geoff June 6, 2014 at 20:14 #

So, if Mr Neil could suggest a wine that goes with this… I find it difficult always to choose a wine for a dish that has a smoked flavour or that contains any kind of heat. The wine always seems blanketed by the food.

6. Mary Hirsch June 6, 2014 at 22:25 #

No matter when you make the recipe, it counts. Of all the Rillettes, I liked this one best even though I felt it has the fishiest and strongest taste of all three. It just worked – like it probably did for your guests – as a special spread with baguette slices and (for me) as a sandwich mixture. I will probably make it again. You? If you recall, it really doesn’t take but 15 minutes once you have the ingredients on hand. May and June can be insane for parents and teachers – I feel your pain. My advice to you and Mr. Neil – Think Summer.

7. Sally - My Custard Pie June 7, 2014 at 01:44 #

I don’t eat salmon all that often for various (mainly sustainable) reasons – but this has got me craving some!

8. TheKitchenLioness June 7, 2014 at 07:56 #

Very pretty presentation, Mardi!
    have a nice weekend!

• TheKitchenLioness June 7, 2014 at 07:58 #

…please delete this one – I hit the wrong buttons too early – sorry about that…

9. TheKitchenLioness June 7, 2014 at 07:57 #

Very pretty presentation, Mardi! Too bad you do not enjoy salmon or fish all that much because we all loved this recipe!
    Have a nice weekend!

10. Eileen June 7, 2014 at 13:31 #

Looks gorgeous, Mardi. Glad you managed to get a week “off” at such a hectic time!

11. Mr. Neil June 8, 2014 at 10:41 #

Oh dear – I cannot recall eating these in April 2012 – let alone the wine pairing at the time.

A few come to mind…for a summer’s day (in the Northern hemisphere, anyway).

It’s rose season now, so there are lots to choose from there. My personal preference tends towards the dry, Southern France style. If these are made with a little more heat – as Geoff suggested – a rose would still work, I`d just lean to a slightly fruitier style.

If you`d like a red, a Beaujolais would be nice. (Not a Cru, a simple Villages.) Fresh, acidic and light. It won`t overpower.

But whites are the more obvious match. A crisp Alsatian or Ontario Riesling would be my first choice – and you can go off-dry if there`s a bit of spice in the dish. If made with more creaminess and cheese, a move to slightly buttery Chardonnay, or in Australia I`d try a Viognier.

12. Diane Balch June 8, 2014 at 20:40 #

I’ve done that too… taken pictures and forgot to make notes, because I just assume I’m going to have a wonderful memory… ha. Glad it was enjoyable to you and you got a rest after your media blitz with the little chefs.

13. EmilyC June 8, 2014 at 22:42 #

This was nice! Your salmon rillettes reminds me of a mosaic.

14. Kathy June 9, 2014 at 08:08 #

Glad you got a week off! June is a crazy time of the year! Your rillettes look delectable!

15. Coco in the Kitchen June 10, 2014 at 04:49 #

This could easily be dinner tonite w a glass of chilled Chardonnay!

16. Liz June 10, 2014 at 21:49 #

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that Bill took a liking to this…but am pretty sure he’s out for the rest of the month. Crazy man doesn’t even like guacamole!!!

17. Cher June 11, 2014 at 18:36 #

Yay for a bye week :-)
    I enjoyed these much more than I thought I would – one fishy June recipe down and only a few more to go.
    XO

18. Teresa June 14, 2014 at 20:56 #

So nice that you got a week “off” for this one. It was a hit for us – the only thing I wish I’d done differently is to have saved the poaching liquid to use as a stock.