French Fridays with Dorie: Crab and avocado salad (not ravioli)

Dorie Greenspan crab and avocado salad on eatlivetravelwrite.comWell now. I knew from the get-go that I wouldn’t be able to follow the directions for this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (crab and avocado “ravioli”, p 185). It’s an odd recipe to start with – calling for very finely sliced avocado using a mandoline (which I don’t have and even if I did I think I would be too scared to use it) to slice through the entire avocado, pit and all. Then, as a substitute for pasta you are supposed to wrap these thin slices around a crab filling to form a sort of “ravioli”. Right then. I kinda sorta get it but what stumped me further was the fact that there was no picture in the book (I am very visual when I cook and bake and like to have some kind of idea in my head of what things are supposed to look like) and I just couldn’t figure out how to make this (look good) sans mandoline. So guess what? I made a salad ;) It was a good salad – loved the flavours with shallots, cilantro and citrus zest and juice. I’ll probably make it again. But honestly, I’d prefer to make crab cakes with all that (rather expensive) crab meat…

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s crab-avocado “ravioli”here.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

___________

Canadian readers: Win a copy of Ruth Reichl’s “Delicious!” Ends Sunday June 15th 2014 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Crab and avocado salad (not ravioli)

1. Cher June 13, 2014 at 06:10 #

I like your crab salad :-) There was no mandoline slicing in my house either…

(and yes, I would have preferred crab cakes too)

2. Liz June 13, 2014 at 06:50 #

I needed the visual, too…as I realized I may have sliced the avocado the wrong way AFTER I was finished. I think I’d eat any version of this delicious combo!

3. Mr. Neil June 13, 2014 at 08:32 #

Well this was lovely nonetheless – hard to go wrong with great crab and fresh avocado, amongst other ingredients.

Perfect for our outside patio gathering, paired with a local bottle of rose….

4. Susan June 13, 2014 at 11:55 #

How funny, Mardi – our photos are practically identical! Great minds. Have a wonderful weekend!

5. Candy (Dulce) June 13, 2014 at 16:00 #

Your salad looks delicious! I ended up with a few little “ravioli”, but then punted and turned the rest of the ingredients into mini-tostadas. All that said, difficult to go wrong with a nice avocado and crab!!! Glad that you enjoyed yours.

6. HappinessSavouredHot June 14, 2014 at 10:44 #

Miam miam miam! Definitely trying that soon.

7. Eileen June 14, 2014 at 13:21 #

Your salad looks beautiful. That’s how I imagined my salad would turn out, except that all my ingredients were cruddy quality, so mine was gross. Oh well. Yours looks great, even if you’d have preferred crab cakes. Man, now I want crab cakes.

8. Teresa June 15, 2014 at 00:18 #

Your salad looks delicious – I’m not sure the “ravioli” are worth the trouble, really. I managed to cut mine out with a knife, but that meant the avocado I used wasn’t quite as ripe as I’d have liked.

9. Cakelaw June 15, 2014 at 01:50 #

Your salad looks perfect – a very sensible, tasty alternative using the same ingredients.

10. TheKitchenLioness June 15, 2014 at 12:00 #

Mardi, salad is always good. But it is even better when you have all these lovely components like crab meat and avocado to create a wonderful salad like the one you made. It looks delicious and, yes, it is a great alternative to the “ravioli effect”.
    Have a nice Sunday!

11. Diane Balch June 15, 2014 at 15:06 #

I’m usually pretty good about going my own route with a recipe… I have know idea why I followed the recipe this time. I guess the word ravioli transfixed me. Your salad looks lovely and I will make it your way.

12. Mary Hirsch June 16, 2014 at 22:24 #

Maybe you couldn’t find a picture (nor could I) but your photo of what you actually did make looks very appetizing. I agree, crab is too expensive to not serve in the best of ways. I do hope that when you go to Paris, you will chase this ravioli-thing down and send an Instagram to us. Like everyone else, I’ve never seen this dish in France.,

13. Rose June 20, 2014 at 13:22 #

I’m so with you, cookbooks should be required to provide at least one picture per recipe!

14. Betsy June 30, 2014 at 21:14 #

I took inspiration from your comments on the P&Q post. I skipped the slicing and just made a salad too. I thought it was a nice lunch, but you’re right, crabcakes would be better. (I’m a Maryland girl, so I have to think that.)