French Fridays with Dorie: (Smoked Salmon) Waffles

Dorie Greenspan waffles from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comAnd so it continues…. Somehow the French Fridays with Dorie crew as we approach our final 10 months or so of cooking from Around my French Table has ended up with a lot of fish dishes to cook – and not just in the fish chapter! It’s going to be a long fishy run to the end I think!

This week’s recipe, Smoked Salmon Waffles (p 170) presented a couple of challenges for me: first of all, I REALLY don’t like salmon. Other white fish and some seafoods are ok but salmon, not so much. And as Neil was away last weekend, I didn’t know what I was going to do with smoked salmon waffles. I already had a lot of cooking on my plate last week (for Food Revolution Day) so I already knew I was going to minify this dish big time ;) In the end I decided to be selfish about this one and make some tiny non-salmon waffles (with a little bit of vanilla extract and some sugar in place of the salmon) for a mid-morning brunch for one (me!) last weekend. Don’t worry Doristas – when you make the upcoming plain waffles, I’ll make sure to make the weird (to me) waffles with chopped up smoked salmon in the batter (see it just sounds odd, no?).

For me, the challenge this week was making waffles without a waffle maker. Umm… ok. This is when Google is your friend. A Google search led me to this post by the lovely Alejandra Ramos which led me to Jamie Oliver’s griddle pan waffles. Sounded like a great idea to me! It’s pretty straightforward – I used egg rings to keep the batter in check so I could make multiple wafflettes in one pan – but it took a few goes to get the right temperature on the stovetop that would cook them and make the crispy edges without burning them.

In the end, they tasted good but more like griddle-marked pancakes than waffles. I served them with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and some Mogador jam by Christine Ferber.  I’m not that huge a waffle fan so I doubt I’ll be buying a waffle iron anytime soon (it’s also such a one-use appliance which I don’t have room for in my cupboards!) but this is a great technique to remember for the future should I be required to make waffles again (i.e. when I have to make the smoked salmon waffles ;) right?)

Waffles from Around my French Table by Dorie Greenspan on eatlivetravelwrite.com

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

_______________

Canadian giveaway: Win a set of GreenPan non-stick frying pans endorsed by Chef Mark McEwan. Closes Monday May 26th 2014 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , ,

13 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: (Smoked Salmon) Waffles

1. Liz May 23, 2014 at 06:31 #

Boy, these waffles really challenged you…and you rose to the occasion. Nice pan waffles…I think Bill will be much more fan of the plain version vs the smoked salmon ones. I loved them :)

2. Mr. Neil May 23, 2014 at 08:28 #

Okay, I love salmon – but I do have to say, these just sound odd.

At any rate, when it’s “plain waffle time”, I will enjoy trying the salmon ones. ;-)

3. Rose May 23, 2014 at 09:45 #

I’ve always loved fresh salmon, but I’m only just recently coming around to smoked salmon. It’s Dorie’s doing, she just keeps putting it on the menu and she’s slowly worn me down. That said, these definitely sounded weird, and they are quite heavy so I would still suggest cutting the recipe quite significantly when you make them for Mr. Neil. I also think that they really needed the creme fraiche. Without it, they were a little too… savory?… if that makes any sense at all.

In the meantime, ingenious idea for making waffles without an iron. To be honest, I bet this recipe would easily work as straight up pancakes, or I guess we would call them blini.

4. Candy (Dulce) May 23, 2014 at 12:57 #

Ever the trooper, Mardi! Yours look delicious, and the apricot is sort of reminiscent of the color of smoked salmon! I would never have thought of the grill pan – great idea.

I am not a huge fan of smoked salmon (particularly the lox -ish variety), but I thought these were good. We make some spicy cornmeal waffles with a shrimp and green chile sauce, and now I’ve been thinking of coming up with ideas for (American) Thanksgiving leftovers, so at least the savory path got me thinking!

5. Diane Zwang May 23, 2014 at 17:15 #

You are very inventive and it looks like they came out perfect. I am a fan of salmon but not smoked salmon, go figure. We also could not live without our waffles.

6. EmilyC May 24, 2014 at 01:00 #

You did amazingly great with the egg rings and the griddle pan! I have no griddle pan and having thought of other solutions….. decided to go ahead and season my waffle iron!! Waffles will soon make an appearance soon!

7. Betsy May 24, 2014 at 19:55 #

Don’t let anyone ever tell you that you are not resourceful! I think that Mr. Neil will like the salmon waffles when you make them for him when we do the dessert waffles. They do look cute!

8. Cakelaw May 24, 2014 at 20:42 #

Your waffles are so cute. I wanted to try Jamie’s recipe for ages, but I can’t find my griddle pan.

9. Teresa May 26, 2014 at 03:39 #

Your griddle pan waffles look great. I’m waiting on this one, since I have neither a waffle iron nor a griddle pan. I agree that one use appliances are hard to justify, especially in small kitchens like mine.

10. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks May 26, 2014 at 18:06 #

I love smoked salmon and I was really bummed I could not make this week. I don’t have a waffle iron but I am definitely going yo use Jamie’s technique when I make them!
    Have a great week Mardi!

11. Trevor May 26, 2014 at 19:45 #

Well you did it! I didn’t know how you were going to pull this off with that pan of yours but they really do have a nice look. I bet they were quite good with that jam too!

12. TheKitchenLioness May 27, 2014 at 04:01 #

Mardi, since I was quite enarmored with the idea of making waffles in a griddle pan, I looked up the Jamie Oliver link – I am still enarmored by the idea of making waffles in a pan rather than in a waffle maker. And your minis look picture perfect to me!
    Have a great Tuesday!

13. Cher June 2, 2014 at 20:12 #

Bravo, my friend. Bravo!

Somehow I missed that the salmon was suppopsed to go IN the waffles and I just put mine ON the waffles :-) I guess even when I am trying to follow directions I still can’t manage it…