French Fridays with Dorie: Leeks Vinaigrette with Mimosa

Leeks Vinaigrette with Mimosa on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe was a surprising hit in our household. I have to admit that Leeks Vinaigrette with Mimosa (p 111) – a “classic dish” of tender leeks bathed in vinaigrette (made with walnut oil) topped with grated hard-boiled egg (which resembles mimosa flowers, hence the name) – didn’t really sound like much but it really worked well!

I wasn’t able to find baby leeks so I just used regular sized ones – I cooked them for about 15 minutes, then removed them from the water, cooled them slightly and split then into quarters. I actually served this dish cold which I liked a lot – it was lovely and light and fresh for an early spring evening. My only criticism of the dish would be that I was expecting a lot more walnut flavour in the vinaigrette (I love using different types of oils in salad dressings) but it wasn’t a big deal.

Dorie Greenspan Leeks Vinaigrette with Mimosa on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis tasted like “classic Paris café” to me. And I’ll remember it again when I think I have nothing in the house to eat. One leek, one egg and some vinaigrette ingredients make for a

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Leeks vinaigrette with Mimosa here.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

FoodRevolutionDayLogo2014

Let’s ALL get kids excited about food on May 16th 2014 – Food Revolution Day! Check out all the details on how you can participate here.

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

Canadians – win a Nespresso VertuoLine coffee machine. Closes May 10th 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Leeks Vinaigrette with Mimosa

1. EmilyC May 9, 2014 at 05:52 #

The star of this dish is basically that dressing!

2. Liz May 9, 2014 at 06:18 #

So glad you enjoyed this, Mardi!!! And I love how everyone knows Bill’s tastes :)

3. Diane Balch May 9, 2014 at 09:00 #

I couldn’t use walnut oil because of my daughter’s allergies.. it was delicious with plan canolia oil too.

4. Candy (Dulce) May 9, 2014 at 11:07 #

I thought this dish was delicious too. I agree – what can I make when there’s nothing in the house??? I’m with you on the walnut oil, I think I’ll skip the olive oil next time. But very nice!

5. Cher May 9, 2014 at 12:02 #

I skipped the walnut oil – because I didn’t have any :-)

I did like this treatment of leeks – its nice to have them in something besides soup.

6. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks May 9, 2014 at 17:17 #

Hi Mardi! I skipped this one, too scared of the leeks, but I keep reading positive reviews and seeing your lovely pictures I am intrigued! Have a great weekend!

7. Diane Zwang May 9, 2014 at 18:07 #

Quartering your leeks makes a much better presentation. I will have to remember that for next time.

8. Angel Reyes May 9, 2014 at 18:20 #

They look great! I think that if the leeks were roasted, they would go much better with the olive oil based-vinaigrette. I think that walnut oil is indeed a better idea here.

9. Coco in the Kitchen May 9, 2014 at 18:39 #

This is such an interesting mix of flavours. I love leeks.
    Will have to put this on the Mom’s Day menu. Thanks, Mardi.

10. Mary Hirsch May 9, 2014 at 19:21 #

Felt just the same as you and Mr. Neil, Mardi. Wasn’t this delicious? It was certainly a leek bonding moment for me. Although I brought mine to room temp, I did think these dish would taste good served cold. Glad to know you tried it. You are right about the walnut oil getting lost with all the other flavors. I set my leeks on a bed of walnuts and I noticed that my dinner guests scooped up some of them when dishing leeks onto their plates.

11. Trevor May 9, 2014 at 19:54 #

There was a sweetness to my vinaigrette which I really enjoyed and went very well with the leeks. I thought next time I would enhance that with perhaps a fruit vinegar or maybe some berries in the dressing? I’m glad you liked this but I’m surprised YOU were surprised by liking it! (There is no fish in it after all!)

12. Teresa May 9, 2014 at 21:51 #

I loved this one and agree with you – it’s hard to say there’s nothing to eat when something this delicious is so easy.

13. Simone May 10, 2014 at 04:20 #

That sounds great and would be a different way of preparing leeks for a change…!

14. Betsy May 10, 2014 at 20:46 #

Who can beat “classic Paris cafe” at home? I really enjoyed it too. Could become a fixture on the table.

15. Kathy May 11, 2014 at 06:59 #

Glad you enjoyed this dish…I thought it was surprisingly good! It will be making many repeat appearances on my table! Have a good weekend!

16. TheKitchenLioness May 13, 2014 at 04:18 #

What a great presentation of this very nice recipe! So glad we were not the only ones who really enjoyed this!

17. Rose May 13, 2014 at 17:00 #

This was a surprise hit with us as well. Not that I was expecting not to like it, I just wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did. I was thinking next time I would add some toasted walnuts to amp up the nuttiness a bit.