The third annual Food Revolution Day will be held on Friday May 16 2014 and this year the focus will be a theme close to my heart - inspiring kids all over the world to get excited about food and cooking from scratch. With over 40 million children worldwide now overweight or obese by the age of five (WHO figures, March 2013), Jamie Oliver says it is the duty of governments, businesses, schools and parents (so, everyone!) to work together to help reverse this preventable situation, adding that:
“Getting kids cooking from as early as possible helps them to develop an essential life skill which will have a huge impact on their future health and well-being.”
How can YOU get involved in Food Revolution Day 2014 and help get kids excited about food?
Ideas for parents and their kids
• Download a Food Revolution Day recipe and cook from scratch at home
• Try a new ingredient, just one. Who knows – maybe you’ll find you like it after all!
• Download one of the activity challenges for your kids, maybe invite some of their friends over and have a Food Revolution party!
• Help kids plant fruit and vegetable seeds and watch them grow over the summer!
Ideas for Schools and Teachers
• Download the official schools activity pack for ideas!
• Bring in different fruits and vegetables and get students to try them
• Tell the whole school community about your plans and get them involved too
• Encourage parents to download a Food Revolution Day recipe and cook it at home with their kids
• Download the What’s in season activity and arrange a tour of a local farmers’ market
• Encourage students to choose healthier options in the school canteen – i.e. replace chips with salad for the day!
Ideas for workplaces
• Instead of buying your lunch, get your workmates to bring in their favourite sandwich fillers and create a sandwich bar of healthy options and let everyone make their own
• Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – bring a blender into work and get everyone involved in making their own smoothies. What’s more fun than a smoothie bar?
• Download a Food Revolution Day recipe and cook a meal for colleagues 0r better yet, have a Food Revolution pot luck!
• Organise a bake sale and encourage workmates to bring in their homemade sweet treats, too
• Teach your colleagues to make tasty, nutritious meals from scratch
• Get in touch with a Food Revolution Day Ambassador and volunteer at a local event
Sign up to participate and be counted in Food Revolution Day 2014 here!
Hey Toronto – a free parent-child cooking class to get kids excited about food!
To register, please email email@example.com
Follow the Food Revolution on social media
Make sure you’re following #FRD2014 online for up to the minute news, updates and messages to share, re-post and re-pin to your followers.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/foodrev (use #FRD2014)
Instagram: @foodrev (add your photos using #FRD2014)
WORLDWIDE giveaway! Click here to win a copy of Sarah Elton’s Starting From Scratch. Ends Tuesday April 8th 2014 at 6pm EST.