French Fridays with Dorie: Visitandine

Visitandine from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comThere aren’t many desserts left in Around my French Table for us to make (as in, under 10 of them – cue panic!) and we’re rationing them out so I was pleased to see Visitandine (p 436) make the cut for this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe!  Described as “a simple very white cake with an elegant small grain crumb, a lovely springy sponge, and a pure butter and sugar flavor that makes it perfect plain or paired with jam, fruit, chocolate, citrus curds, cream, frosting or glacé.”  Well ok then. Of course, I minified this. I cut the recipe in half and made 2x 4″ springform pans for a total of 4 servings.

Essentially, this came together in around 15 minutes and baked for about 30 minutes. So simple but so full of possibilities.

Visitandine from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comI went very plain on this one – I slathered the insides with fabulous jam from Christine Ferber and topped it with a little whipped cream, then added a sprinkle of icing sugar. Not fancy. But simply scrumptious.

You can find the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Visitandine here.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

WORLDWIDE giveaway! Click here to win a copy of Sarah Elton’s Starting From Scratch. Ends Tuesday April 8th 2014 at 6pm EST.

, , , , , , ,

26 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Visitandine

1. Cakelaw April 4, 2014 at 05:56 #

It does look scrumptious – and easy and tasty wins the day.

2. Liz April 4, 2014 at 06:26 #

Your simple mini looks marvelous!

3. EmilyC April 4, 2014 at 06:30 #

Looks perfect!!

4. Cher April 4, 2014 at 07:24 #

The jam sounds like a delicious idea.

I have been buying smaller baking items lately – now that our house is empty more often than not, I am definitely going to have to go mini a la Mardi when we start working our way through the next book :-)

5. Diane Balch April 4, 2014 at 09:26 #

I like your smaller pan version… it looks like it works much better with this cake.

6. Eileen April 4, 2014 at 11:56 #

Your little layer cake is so cute. I want to eat it. Nom nom nom. Looks beautiful!

7. betsy April 4, 2014 at 12:38 #

The little ones are fun. I copied you on my minifying. THough yours looks more elegant with the filling. Great meeting you last week! So much fun!

8. Coco in the Kitchen April 4, 2014 at 13:12 #

Visitandine is new to me. Looks lovely with the whipped cream & jam.
    A sure-winner @ Chez Nous.
    Merci, Mardi!

9. Kathy April 4, 2014 at 16:29 #

Love your very simple presentation…it looks delightful! We loved this cake…another keeper form FF’s! Happy weekend, Mardi!!

10. Tanusree April 4, 2014 at 19:37 #

Your little cake looks lovely and elegant. Beautiful presentation.

11. Geoff April 5, 2014 at 00:56 #

Save me a piece.

12. TheKitchenLioness April 5, 2014 at 04:09 #

Mardi, again, I love all cakes that come in small portions, so I really like your two-layered mini version with the whipped cream and the jam from Christine Ferber – she is quite famous around here, can you actually find her jam from the Alsace in Canada or were you lucky enough to visit her amazing store in Niedermorschwihr and buy it there?
    Have a lovely wwkend!

• Mardi Michels April 5, 2014 at 07:20 #

I’ve been to the Ferber “store” a few years ago in Niedermorschwihr but also you can buy her jam at Pierre Hermé in Paris (and Poilâne).

13. Teresa April 5, 2014 at 05:23 #

Such a lovely cake and it must have been so marvelous with Ferber’s jam! Your minified version is quite elegant. I just made the full recipe and sent half the cake downstairs to the neighbours.

14. sanya April 5, 2014 at 08:29 #

Simple yet elegant! Gorgeous looking cake.

15. Rose April 5, 2014 at 08:36 #

So many possibilities with this one. But I think that the cream is essential:-)

16. Candy April 5, 2014 at 10:46 #

I loved this too! I was amazed at how simple it was to make, I’m ready to make another when I get home!! I think it would be fun to make as minis as well – I was amazed at how good this simple fast cake was. Oh, and all of my taste testers agreed that it was fantastic just plain with coffee or tea.

17. Mr. Neil April 5, 2014 at 14:11 #

A wonderful mid-week dessrt treat, this! (And yes we love Christine Ferber – the jams get rationed here Chez Westminster.)

18. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks April 5, 2014 at 15:49 #

I love mini cakes! You can have your cake and eat it all sans guilt. It is perfect!

19. Trevor Sis. Boom. April 5, 2014 at 22:33 #

I always love it when I see those plates and the minified visitandine looks just perfect. Great job! I wish I minified as I ate most of mine.

20. Mary Hirsch April 6, 2014 at 00:07 #

That’s what made this so good. It was simple. I like the manner in which you served it – sorta elegant. That presentation would work at any dinner party. Nice, Mardi. Hope you’re feeling better.

21. yummychunklet April 6, 2014 at 21:46 #

What a perfect circle cake!

22. Renee April 6, 2014 at 23:03 #

What a lovely cake! I love the idea of using jam. So tasty!

23. Adriana April 7, 2014 at 05:31 #

They look so pretty Mardi. I”m on the lookout now for your springform pans. You definitely have gotten mileage out of them.

24. s, pratt June 23, 2014 at 20:15 #

I am enjoying Around My French Table and have tried making visitandine three times. I’m not yet satisfied with the results(although it’s delicious!). How do you whisk the egg whites into the batter and achieve a good texture when baked? Mine is a dense and does ot have a very fine crumb, and is about 1/2 or 3/4 ” high, which makes me think the egg whites are not holding up. Can you describe the correct technique? Thanks.

• Mardi Michels July 8, 2014 at 04:34 #

Hello, I can’t remember exactly but I would have incorporated the whites into the batter in stages, for sure, with a whisk, not a spatula.