French Fridays with Dorie: Quiche Maraîchère

Quiche for French Fridays with Dorie on Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comFor some reason, when I was planning this week’s French Fridays with Dorie dish (Quiche Maraîchère, p 158), I wrote “bacon” on my shopping list. Because if you look at the photo in the book, it kinda looks like there is bacon in this quiche.  When you actually read the recipe, however (you know, that small matter of reading the recipe… ahem, that definitely comes in handy when you’re planning your shopping list!), you’ll see that it’s a simple vegetarian quiche, filled to the brim with celery, leeks, carrots and red pepper. No bacon. And no, I didn’t add any, even though I was very tempted… And even though bacon would be very good… Next time.

This quiche, even the pastry, is pretty simple to make but one important note.  Firstly – when Dorie says to chill the pastry then roll it out then chill it again in the tin, you should do that.  I was in a rush and skipped the step where the pastry chills in the tin. As a result, my pastry shrunk when I blind baked it, creating the “thinnest quiche ever” according to Mr Neil. I was concerned that on top of the “thinness” of the quiche he might notice that it didn’t contain any meat at all (as I am sure he spotted the bacon and thought it was going into the quiche too!) but I am happy to report that it was “really good” even without the bacon ;)  There’s not much custard in this one (and the cheese is added to the top right at the end of its baking time) which contributes to the thinness factor but I really like how packed with vegetables it was.

Yup, we really enjoyed this and, like many of Dorie’s recipes, it’s one I’m filing away for future reference.  The filling could really be any combination of vegetables and it’s the ideal recipient for the odds and ends of veggies that need to be used in your fridge. Another winner!

You can find the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s quiche maraîchère here.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase* Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

FoodRevolutionDayLogo2014

Let’s get kids excited about food on May 16th 2014 – Food Revolution Day! Check out all the details for how you can participate here.

* Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

, , , , ,

22 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Quiche Maraîchère

1. Liz April 11, 2014 at 07:24 #

Bill would have liked this even better with bacon! But we still both enjoyed this…glad you did, too :)

2. Cakelaw April 11, 2014 at 08:07 #

Yes, this was surprisingly good, even with no bacon. Have a great weekend Mardi.

3. Mr. Neil April 11, 2014 at 10:06 #

Well now here’s the thing: Mr. Neil & Cleo Cat know we get to share about ten rashers of bacon tomorrow for breakfast…so all is good. :-)

I actually really LIKED that this was a “thin” quiche. In fact, it’s one of the best I recall having in quite some time. Didn’t have that sometimes squishy feel of a deeper quiche. I also did not even remotely miss the bacon. Would be a nice addition; but not needed. And to reduce some meat intake isn’t such a bad thing.

So maybe do this “incorrectly” always in future? ;-)

4. Cher April 11, 2014 at 10:10 #

Uh I went ahead and put in the bacon (pancetta). It was delicious. ;-) glad you enjoyed. I am going to have to try this the correct way now.

5. Mary Hirsch April 11, 2014 at 12:09 #

Mr. Neil hit the nail on the head, as we used to say in Iowa. Thick quiches taste squishy. Exactly. That’s why I liked this thinner, less heavy, veggie version, I think. I’m not so big on bacon as others and I really didn’t miss the meat. Just enjoyed it. I, of course, didn’t venture from the filling recipe. There’s nothing too creative about me in that arena. Another winner, for most of us, I think.

6. Susan April 11, 2014 at 12:38 #

This would have been so great with bacon! Well, I started my quiche and didn’t realize I didn’t have enough eggs for the filling until I put the pastry into the fridge to chill…duh! Needless to say, my pastry was well-chilled by the time I rolled it out. This is a wonderful dish that it sounds like we all loved.

Have a great weekend!

7. Kathy April 11, 2014 at 13:00 #

This one was well received in my house too! We both loved it! I did add a can of crabmeat….because it was there! Yours looks perfectly delicious!

8. Danielle @ theCHARMITspot April 11, 2014 at 13:53 #

This pizza looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

9. Diane Balch April 11, 2014 at 14:02 #

I think may folks “are seeing bacon” these days.. quite a common condition. No treatment other then eating the stuff.
    Glad you enjoyed the quiche anyway.

10. Trevor Sis. Boom. April 11, 2014 at 17:05 #

I had to resist every urge to add bacon as well and was glad I did. Oh yes, freeze the dough. We were in a very similar space once again with this one Mardi!

11. Diane Zwang April 11, 2014 at 17:44 #

The picture of your quiche looks great. You have good lighting.

12. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks April 11, 2014 at 18:51 #

Oh yes, bacon would have been great but even without it is very good. Mine was also very thin and now that you mention it it’s because I did not chill it for more than half hour in total! Oh well we liked it either way! Have a great weekend Mardi!

13. I really wanted bacon too! Almost added it, but was running short on time and skipped it. Looks gorgeous – love all the burst of colors!

14. EmilyC April 12, 2014 at 02:54 #

I do believe that this recipe is perfection! I did forget the leeks but 3 out 4 is still good!

15. Rose April 12, 2014 at 07:40 #

I’m pretty impressed by how well our group followed directions this week. Sounds like all of us were tempted to add something to amp it up a bit, but for the most part we left it alone and got to be surprised at how good it was, even without the bacon or sausage or whatnot.

16. TheKitchenLioness April 12, 2014 at 15:37 #

Mardi, what a nice and colorful quiche you made – I was tempted to add bacon as well but then I opted for changing the veg instead – I guess, Rose will not be impressed…no matter, we loved the recipe with seasonal veg.
    Have a nice weekend!

17. Betsy April 12, 2014 at 17:57 #

Yes, this is perfect for the odds and ends in the vegetable bin. I loved how colorful it was. I’m still trying to figure out why you didn’t just add the bacon. I know it was perfectly delicious without, but you had it. Have a great weekend.

18. yummychunklet April 12, 2014 at 18:46 #

Your quiche is so colorful! Can’t wait for Food Revolution Day!

19. Tanusree April 13, 2014 at 09:05 #

Your quiche looks so colorful even from the top ! I was hoping mine would turn out the same way.. next time..

20. Margaret April 17, 2014 at 23:11 #

It was thing, but so so good. Cheese was definitely a plus here.

21. Teresa April 27, 2014 at 00:30 #

Bacon is always a good addition, but this quiche really didn’t need it, did it? I loved the vegetable to custard ratio in this, too. A nice variation on the traditional quiche.