Beef and mushroom tortilla pie

Tortilla pie with beef and mushrooms on eatlivetravelwrite.comMmmm – mushrooms! I’m excited to be a guest in the Mushrooms Canada kitchen today sharing a “Blend & Extend” recipe featuring mushrooms and Ontario Beef.  I’ve actually been mixing mushrooms with my ground beef for a while now – it’s a great way to add an extra serving of vegetables to dishes that tend to be meat-heavy (think meatloaf, tacos, burritos, meatballs etc…).

Finely chopped mushrooms look similar to ground beef so they blend in seamlessly – it’s easy to make classic ground beef dishes healthier (and tastier!) by adding mushrooms.  Mushrooms and beef are also a powerful combination, providing important nutrients and antioxidants.  One of my favourite “make ahead” meals is a layered tortilla pie – kind of like Mexican lasagna with corn tortillas in place of pasta.  I’ve come up with a version using mushrooms and beef for the Mushrooms Canada blog today.

Want a slice?

Beef and mushroom tortilla pie on eatlivetravelwrite.comHead on over the Mushrooms Canada blog to check out my recipe for beef and mushroom tortilla pie!

FoodRevolutionDayLogo2014

Let’s get kids excited about food on May 16th 2014 – Food Revolution Day! Check out all the details for how you can participate here.

, , , , ,

13 Responses to Beef and mushroom tortilla pie

1. miss b April 24, 2014 at 07:42 #

This looks like an ideal midweek meal and I like the idea of using a little less meat and mushrooms are a firm favourite in our home. They are so versatile as you have shown here. Just popped over to see the recipe and it sounds so tasty. Thank you!

2. Mr. Neil April 24, 2014 at 07:56 #

This was a hit in the household.

It’s a bit heavy (as it looks) – but sometimes you really like that “comfort food” with a bit of heft, like a stew and things. Chasing away the last blast of this dreadfully long winter and Spring is valiantly trying to make an appearance – it was perfect.

I imagine it may work well as a vegetarian dish with no meat, just using mushrooms?

As we had a huge serve, I did a couple pairings.

Once I went lighter, with a Beaujolais-Villages from Louis Jadot. Great negociant, this is an everyday wine I just love. Not to heavy, not too high in alcohol, but with enough stuffing to pair well with the beef and pasta.

The second pairing was at the other extreme: an Aussie Shiraz. Poole’s Rock from the Hunter Valley, 2004. Luscious mulberry and blackberry, nice black pepper, and leathery nose. This had aged really well, and was drinking beautifully. Shame I don’t have another bottle. :-)

• Mardi Michels May 9, 2014 at 16:56 #

Yes it would definitely work with just mushrooms but would need something to bind it together so it wasn’t too loose. But great idea!

3. Janice (@KtchnHealsSoul) April 24, 2014 at 08:03 #

YES! I want a slice!
    Actually, as soon as I saw the title, I knew it.
    And you are right about the finely chopped mushrooms: they are like ground beef. I recently went to a little lunch spot in Pointe-St-Charles called Café Bloom. Every day they serve a different lunch special, but they cater to flexitarians and vegitarians, and the day I went, they served spaghetti with “mushroom bolognese” with an optional side of meat balls. I ordered the dish, no meatballs, and was floored how similar it was to ground beef, if not better. I loved it!

4. Angel Reyes April 24, 2014 at 14:09 #

Looks awesome. I love how beautiful it turned out! Great pictures.

5. Geoff April 25, 2014 at 01:43 #

It looks a winter dish – hearty, filling and cold weather retarding.
    Mr Neil’s pairing with the shiraz clinched i for me.

6. Coco in the Kitchen April 25, 2014 at 12:54 #

That looks so good!

7. Ann Mah April 28, 2014 at 20:05 #

I’m on a real casserole kick right and this looks scrumptious! Love the suggestion of stretching the meat with mushrooms, too!

8. Mushrooms Canada May 23, 2014 at 14:24 #

This recipe was such a great use of the blendability concept! I’m making it again tonight… such a hit! Thanks again for sharing Mardi.