Macaron Day Toronto 2014

It’s nearly here! Next Thursday, March 20th 2014 is the Jour du Macaron or Macaron Day.

Macaron Day Toronto participating bakeries 2014 on eatlivetravelwrite.comI’m thrilled to see Macaron Day Toronto in its third year (you may remember how excited I was for  theToronto edition’s first year touring the majority of the participating bakeries), once again raising funds to support the Red Door Family Shelter.

The Jour du Macaron originated in France (the creation of pastry chef Pierre Hermé) and is celebrated every March 20th.  Now, similar events take place in cities all over the world including Paris, London and New York.  Toronto joined these cities in 2012, thanks to pâtisserie owner Michel Firanski of La Bamboche.  On the day, Toronto customers are entitled to one free macaron per participating bakery (limited quantities), then 25% of all macaron sales for the day are donated to the Red Door Family Shelter.

macarons by Nadege on eatlivetravelwrite.comSo go on, next Thursday, pick up some macarons and know that your money is going to a good cause.

Check out the Macaron Day Toronto 2014 participant list here.

Map out your Macaron Day Toronto route with my Google Map here.

Strawberries and cream macarons Adriano Zumbo methodAnd hey, if you feel inspired to learn how to make macarons for yourself, how about you sign up for one of my classes in Toronto?

____________

Canadian giveaway: Win a KitchenAid® 5-Speed Diamond Blender and one copy of Monica Shaw’s Smarter Fitter Smoothies! Closes Sunday, March 16th 6pm EST.

___________

Disclosure: Although I am a Macaron Day Toronto Ambassador, I am not being compensated for spreading the sweet word about macarons. I do it because I think that everyone should eat macarons for a good cause!

, , ,

7 Responses to Macaron Day Toronto 2014

1. Kathy March 13, 2014 at 06:56 #

Oh how I wish Toronto wasn’t so far away…I’d be in! This event sounds like so much fun! Love Macarons…they’re on my “to bake list”!

• Mardi Michels March 29, 2014 at 14:06 #

You so should try making them Kathy! Easier than they seem!

2. Taryn Elise March 13, 2014 at 07:45 #

Ohhh I’m so jealous! My local area is very much lacking in macarons!

It’s also making me want to do one of your macaron classes too! Mmm-mmm!

- Taryn Elise xx
    blog.sugarpushcakes.com

• Mardi Michels March 29, 2014 at 14:05 #

We can do our own “macaron day” here in Toronto when you have a spare minute!

3. Geoff March 14, 2014 at 02:07 #

Just out of interest, Mardi… and perhaps you’ve addressed this in previous posts … but how long is a macaron fresh? That is, should you eat it on the day you buy it or, if not, do you keep in the fridge? Pardon my ‘down under’ ignorance.
    I’ve tasted ‘em and I like ‘em, but I can’t see the reason for what an objective observer might call “an obsession” with macarons. I have to admit, they are ‘moreish’.

• Mardi Michels March 14, 2014 at 02:56 #

They last a few days (up to a week sometimes) and yes, I would store them in the fridge once they are filled then bring them out to room temperature for about 10 minutes before you eat them…

4. Alicia March 15, 2014 at 17:12 #

I’m going to miss being your Macaron Day partner this year! I’ve got an all-day conference so can’t play hooky from work, sadly. :-( If you don’t mind saving a location to do with me, we could do a tea/coffee and macaron at Nadege when I get back downtown (conference ends at 3 pm up at the airport). Let’s chat.