French Fridays with Dorie: Two Tartines from La Croix Rouge

Dorie Greenspan tartines from La Croix Rouge on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt’s been a bit of a race to the finish line this week – it’s March Break starting at the end of the day and the shortest-longest term of the year (especially this year with the #NeverEndingWinter) is finally ending. To say I’m tired would be a huge understatement. We’re all so *done* with the cold and the grey days, not to mention various lingering illnesses (even Neil’s been sick, so you know it’s a bad year for germs!) and ready for some spring. So I was grateful for an easy French Fridays with Dorie recipe this week.

Essentially smoked salmon (Norvegienne) and roast beef (Saint Germain) open-faced sandwiches, the two tartines from La Croix Rouge (p 42) are both favourite dishes in one of the busiest cafés in Dorie’s neighbourhood.

Dorie Greenspan raost beef tartine on eatlivetravelwrite.com Dorie Greenspan smoked salmon tartine on eatlivetravelwrite.comAnd really, there’s not much to say. As Trevor would say, it’s what we Doristas like to call “stuff on toast“.  Neil ate this as a snack one afternoon last weekend. It’s kind of snacky-apetitify food that begs for a glass of wine. I think all that was missing here was the special ingredient that was the Paris café scene setting ;)

And speaking of things French, follow our trip to France and Denmark on Instagram next week :)

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

____________

Canadian giveaway: Win a KitchenAid® 5-Speed Diamond Blender and one copy of Monica Shaw’s Smarter Fitter Smoothies! Closes Sunday, March 16th 6pm EST.

, , , , , ,

24 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Two Tartines from La Croix Rouge

1. Eileen March 7, 2014 at 05:58 #

Have an amazing trip, Mardi!

2. Liz March 7, 2014 at 07:29 #

You’ve made me very hungry this AM. Have a wonderful trip…I think I could fit in your suitcase ;)

3. Cakelaw March 7, 2014 at 07:31 #

These were simple but oh so good. I like the look of your crusty bread. Happy travels in Europe!

4. Karen March 7, 2014 at 13:09 #

beautiful photos! I will be looking for your instagram feed next week!

5. Rose March 7, 2014 at 15:35 #

Yes, europe is the place to be right now. While my friends and family in the US are still suffering, winter seems to have skipped us completely this year. The daffodils outside my flat are already in full bloom. Welcome to spring:-)

6. Guyla March 7, 2014 at 17:33 #

You describe it perfectly Mardi as a snacky food. I thought it made a nice lunch, especially with a glass of wine. I will take a toast from Gascony instead of a visit to my blog any day! Have fun and I will follow, enviously, on Instagram.

7. Marlene March 7, 2014 at 18:44 #

These look so artistic. It’s good to have something both delicious and easy in our repertoire for those times we’re too tired to make anything more complicated!

8. betsy March 7, 2014 at 20:40 #

I could have predicted you’d prefer the saint-germain version. You don’t like fish! Bon voyage! Can’t wait to see the pictures. I still dream about the bakeries in Denmark.

• Mardi Michels March 7, 2014 at 20:43 #

Well I do like some fish but certainly salmon and smoked salmon in particular is not something I think I will ever like!

9. Mr. Neil March 7, 2014 at 20:42 #

It says something about the house I live in that when these were presented to me in front of the computer, it didn’t seem remotely out of the norm… :-)

Alas, as Mardi said even I’ve been battling a flu this week, so the beautiful rose from Provence had to wait for another day…

10. yummychunklet March 7, 2014 at 23:59 #

That’s an amazing looking spread!

11. EmilyC March 8, 2014 at 01:10 #

Firstly, wishing Mr Neil speedy full recovery from his flue in order to enjoy the trip! Very rustic and enticing!

12. Diane Balch March 8, 2014 at 08:33 #

Make sure you take some pictures of the latest tartines in France… enjoy.

13. Kathy March 8, 2014 at 09:47 #

Yours look so perfect, Mardi…glad you enjoyed them! Travel safe and enjoy your trip!!

14. Nana March 8, 2014 at 11:00 #

Your tartines look wonderful. Enjoy your holiday and everything France has to offer.

15. Candy (Dulce) March 8, 2014 at 15:36 #

Your tartines look delicious! Hope you enjoy your trip and leave all germs behind!

16. Teresa March 8, 2014 at 22:01 #

Your tartines look perfectly sophisticated. A glass of wine is just right for them. Have a wonderful trip – looking forward to seeing your posts when you return!

17. TheKitchenLioness March 9, 2014 at 06:56 #

Mardi, sometimes these simple meals with wonderful ingredients are just the best! Your Tartines look wonderful and it is such a pleasure to read that you and your husband enjoyed them so much!
    Do have a wnderful time in France and Denmark!

18. Mary Hirsch March 9, 2014 at 11:13 #

When I finish commenting on your lovely post, Mardi, I am going to link over to Instagram and travel through Gascony with you. I can only imagine what this Winter has been for you, other Canadians and my colleagues on the East Coast and Midwest. Even in Aspen, where snow means money, many of my friends are so over it. Winter is hard work in so many ways. Hopefully your trip to France will be what you need to get you and Mr. Neil to Spring………which, they tell me, id judt around the corner.

19. Geraldine Saucier March 9, 2014 at 16:52 #

Your tartines look wonderful:) Have a great time on your trip – Denmark is one of my favorite countries.

20. Cher March 10, 2014 at 08:05 #

The #neverendingwinter indeed. We had snow on the ground this morning and are expecting more mid-week. Although, it’s the cold that is really driving me insane. It reached 30F yesterday and I was outside in short sleeves :-)

Have a lovely, lovely trip – hopefully balmy weather will prove to be healing for the winter blues.

21. Coco in the Kitchen March 10, 2014 at 18:46 #

This is one of those appetizer-meals where I could easily stuff myself to death!

22. HappinessSavouredHot March 12, 2014 at 09:49 #

Yum… the apetizers. LOVE them. Thank you for making me hungry (not!) LOL

23. Alice March 28, 2014 at 18:46 #

Yep, you made the tartines look AMAZING and SO chic! :)

Glad you liked ‘em!