French Fridays with Dorie: Hélène’s all-white salad

All white salad for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comI bet you’ve come here today hoping for a French Fridays with Dorie St Valentine’s Day themed recipe… Well sorry to disappoint you this week but we’re making salad (Hélène’s all-white salad, p 108). Salad for St Valentine’s Day? Well yes, I mean if you celebrate, you’ll need something fresh to counter all that chocolate you’re going to be eating, right? The surprising thing about this salad is that it’s all one tone – white(ish) – and whilst that might sound odd to deliberately not make a colourful plate (one of the most appealing things about salads, for me, is the colour contrast you can achieve depending on your ingredients), I actually think it’s really pretty.

White salad with goat cheese and almonds on eatlivetravelwrite.comApples, celery, cabbage and mushrooms form the base of this salad and it’s topped with a lemon-Greek yoghurt dressing. I added thinly sliced zucchini to my plate just because and I like the contrast between the dark green of the skin and the paleness of the other ingredients.  When I served this the second time around (I halved the recipe but it still made loads!), I added sliced, blanched almonds and crumbled goat’s cheese and it really made for a meal in a bowl. I know Mr Neil wasn’t impressed with this week’s offering but I’ll be remembering this when I’m in Paris this summer – it’s the perfect meal for one!

You can find Dorie’s recipe for the all-white salad here.

FFwD badgeFrench Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________
Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

Canadian giveaway: Win a copy of Ottolenghi, the Cookbook. Closes Wednesday February 19th at 6pm EST.

, , , , , , , , , ,

34 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Hélène’s all-white salad

1. Liz February 14, 2014 at 07:54 #

I love your tweaks…and think they may have given the salad the boost of flavor it so desperately needed. Well done!

2. EmilyC February 14, 2014 at 12:00 #

Love the addition of the zucchini in your salad and the almonds too. I should have added some fennel in mine and the worchestershire sauce! But it was pleasant enough.

3. Cher February 14, 2014 at 12:46 #

Blue cheese. Blue cheese. This SO needed that extra flavor.

Once again, Mardi brilliance for the win!

4. Rose February 14, 2014 at 13:07 #

Phew, I’m happy to hear that I wasn’t the only one who liked this one. I was beginning to despair. I was not expecting to love it (it’s the name I think, it just doesn’t inspire hunger) but it turned out to be quite tasty.

• Mardi Michels February 17, 2014 at 18:57 #

Yeah the name is quite uninspiring but I think it can be pretty and tasty!

5. Nana February 14, 2014 at 13:26 #

We both really liked this salad, both the dressing and the mix. I did substitute romaine for
    the cabbage and it worked well. I think the idea of using either goat cheese or blue cheese would really kick it up a notch. Enjoy your weekend.

6. Geoff February 15, 2014 at 00:56 #

I think I’m on record here as expressing my particular thoughts about salads in general – viz. the phrase “exciting salad” is an oxymoron. I know, I know…
    It did look pretty, though, Mardi and I could probably ‘go’ for this with a blue cheese (roquefort?) dressing.

7. Teresa February 15, 2014 at 03:00 #

Nice additions. I made a third of the recipe and it still feels like plenty.

8. TheKitchenLioness February 15, 2014 at 06:39 #

Mardi, delicious additions to your salad – cheese sounds wonderful with this winter white salad – crumbled goat cheese is delicious (and white) and I really like the almond idea as well. Very pretty presentation too!
    Have a lovely weekend!

• Mardi Michels February 17, 2014 at 18:56 #

Thanks – and yes the cheese and almonds worked well!

9. Trevor Sis. Boom. February 15, 2014 at 10:40 #

It was bound to happen that at least once in this project I would be on Team Mr. Neil. We now bring you back to our regular scheduled programming.

10. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva February 15, 2014 at 12:42 #

Great additions! And lovely photography as usual!

Happy Valentine’s Weekend!

11. Guyla February 15, 2014 at 13:20 #

Your salad looks lovely. We liked this one and will make it again. I think next time I might grate the ingredients, though. Hope you are having a good weekend.

• Mardi Michels February 17, 2014 at 18:55 #

Ah yes grated ingredients might be good too – pretty!

12. Diane Balch February 15, 2014 at 13:57 #

I loved this salad even without tweeks but I can’t wait to try your additions.

13. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks February 15, 2014 at 16:38 #

I liked the salad very much! It was fresh and crunchy and I did not mind the lack of vibrant colours. I could not find celery so I used fennel and it was perfect! As always I am completely in love with your photos <3

14. Tricia S. February 15, 2014 at 19:46 #

Gorgeous. I would love to have tried your version for sure. And I am so glad to see that it was indeed a winner for some. Not sure whether my apples were just too tart or what in particular, but it was not to hit in our house. On to the crepes :)

• Mardi Michels February 17, 2014 at 18:55 #

I think that really tart apples might not be the right fit for this dish. Onwards and upwards…

15. betsy February 15, 2014 at 21:25 #

I like that you got creative with this one, while keeping the pale color scheme. I tried hard, but I somehow couldn’t like it. Onward to next week’s crepes. I think I’m going to love them.

16. Gracie ~ Food Fascination February 16, 2014 at 23:24 #

Nice add ins! I’ll probably make a meal of this one when I make it.

17. Cakelaw February 18, 2014 at 23:12 #

I think the goats cheese was an inspired addition!

18. Renee February 23, 2014 at 20:12 #

I love that you added zucchini. What a perfect combination! And you made it so much better with the blue cheese and almonds. That would have really made it so good!