French Fridays with Dorie: Garbure from the supermarket

Garbure from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comGarbure, huh? Yes, this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (garbure, p 86) is a hearty old stew with a ham hock, cabbage and a whole host of other veggies including white beans, turnips, carrots and potatoes. There’s also a duck leg and some garlic sausage. Pure comfort food and perfect for this ridiculous winter.  I know, I complain a lot about the winter every year but this year it’s completely unreal. Yesterday it was -27˚C with wind chill. Just not ok…

I have to say, I found this a little epic. I made it on a holiday Monday, after we’d entertained the night before and to be truthful, making a giant pot of meaty stew/ soup wasn’t exactly what I felt like doing that day ;) But you know, the things you do for Dorie, right? I did follow the recipe pretty much to a “T” (shocker, right?) and I even made the whole recipe, because minifying this would have been foolish.

It’s a pretty simple recipe, but takes 2-3 hours before it’s ready.  It will make your house smell amazing, guaranteed.  I cut my veggies pretty big and though the potatoes and carrots held their shape, the leeks and onions went to mush. Perhaps they were meant to – in fact, by the second and third day, these cooked down veggies made the broth lovely and thick and even more flavourful so I guess that makes sense – but on the day I made this, I was kind of disappointed in the mushy texture of many of the veggies. I also thought that it could have used more beans. But apart from those two small criticisms,  we really enjoyed this.  It made a LOT (serves 10) and we gave a large portion to our neighbour who pronounced it “excellent” and enjoyed the leftovers for many days after. It’s been the perfect meal for this silly winter!

You can find a recipe for garbure from Kate Hill over on The Kitchen at Camont. She lives in the South West of France. She knows her garbure!

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Garbure from the supermarket

1. Liz February 28, 2014 at 06:53 #

I’m so glad you loved this one, too, Mardi! Definitely a winner :)

2. Cher February 28, 2014 at 08:06 #

Yes, it’ s -7F here this morning (before wind chill – I don’t even want to think about how cold it is with wind chill). Enough already…

Lovely presentation :-)

3. EmilyC February 28, 2014 at 10:50 #

Definitely comfort food for bad weather!! Love that you added thyme(?)!

4. Rose February 28, 2014 at 15:19 #

It certainly did make enough to feed an army! In fact, I originally pulled out my dutch oven, and then realized that I would need to trade it out for my even bigger stock pot, and even that one was filled up to within an inch of the rim. My freezer is happily stocked.

5. Kathy February 28, 2014 at 16:42 #

Love your photo, Mardi…just gorgeous, and your Garbure looks wonderfully delicious! This one was a winner in my house, too! It did make enough to feed a small army…we enjoyed it for several days! Man it is cold by you…we took a retreat to Florida, but will be heading back home this week…to snow and cold weather! Well, it was good while it lasted!

6. Coco in the Kitchen February 28, 2014 at 18:54 #

What a lovely soup, esp for a chilly, rainy day like the one we’re having.
    (We desperately needed the rain – not much of a winter this year here in Calif).

Mushy veggies are not very pleasant, but leftovers are so delicious.
    I’m wondering if they’re do well as a spread to put onto crisp toast for
    lunch with some creamy cheese? Mmm, yum.
    I must be hungry!
    Have a great w/end, Mardi!

7. betsy February 28, 2014 at 20:19 #

Looks amazing, Mardi! This was so perfect for the weather. It’s way colder where you are then here, and it was very cold here. Will winter be over soon? Please?

8. Mary Hirsch February 28, 2014 at 22:30 #

I have to think you and Mr. Neil threw a great party. So kudos for even getting this garbure made the day after. I actually halved the soup and doubled the beans because I’m a legume fan also. So I didn’t share, have still been enjoying it for days and probably will be eating it all week-end. I sympathize with your winter-blues. Enough.

9. Diane Balch March 1, 2014 at 11:23 #

Epic is a good description of this soup that is truly a stew. The flavor was good, but by the end of the week it did look like army gruel.

10. Mr. Neil March 1, 2014 at 13:08 #

I’m late commenting on this one – but there’s not much I would add.

Paired this with a Grey Monk Pinot Noir from British Columbia…

11. Margaret March 1, 2014 at 15:42 #

I tried to follow the recipe to a ‘T’ but my duck wasn’t good and I couldn’t find garlic sausage. Still good. Still full of flavor, veggies, and meat.

12. Gracie ~ Food Fascination March 1, 2014 at 18:06 #

I am so glad you liked it! Gorgeous

13. Nana March 1, 2014 at 19:37 #

I noticed you mentioned in the P&Q’s that the veggies cooked fast. I took mine out after 1 hour.
    completely cooked. I added them at the end and all worked well. I am sorry I did not use a
    ham hock, I agree that they are so tasty. I love them in choucroute.

14. Teresa March 2, 2014 at 00:58 #

It looks beautiful. I might have to make it, even though I’ll be the only one eating it. The weather in most places in Canada and the US has been abominable this year. I know, Vancouverites shouldn’t complain too much, even though we’re in for snow tonight.

15. Tricia S. March 3, 2014 at 05:32 #

I am with you on this being the perfect recipe to go with this weather. We need comfort food and lots of it, and this one delivered on both counts. Your coloring is really lovely- this ended up not the most “photogenic” dish but between your delicious results and choice of that beautiful gold crock….your garbure looks utterly amazing.

16. jora March 3, 2014 at 11:20 #

I usually enjoy winter, but I am very ready for this one to be over. I know I shouldn’t complain though – your winter is much worse up there! I agree with you about the soup. I was initially disappointed that the vegetables turned to mush, but they did give the soup a very rich, thick, and flavorful broth.

17. Beth (OMG! Yummy) March 3, 2014 at 11:30 #

It’s gray and about 55 degrees fahrenheit here and for us, that’s soup weather. Am planning on giving this a try today but probably shorter cooking time on the veggies. By the way, on another subject altogether – I made oxtail for the first time this weekend via a Danny Meyer recipe – talk about epic!

18. Janice (@KtchnHealsSoul) March 4, 2014 at 00:19 #

Don’t even get me started about the cold. I mean: my toes are literally freezer burned, swollen and red. We need to move to Vancouver ;)

I hate the word “garbure”, lol, but I love the look of this soup so I will probably make it someday soon (’cause it’s still minus a million out there!), but maybe I’ll just call it winter stew ;)

19. Lola March 5, 2014 at 23:20 #

Love your photo Mardi. I agree this seemd like a big tax at the beginning but it was good, especially after a day or two. I will make it again but leave out the turnips. Nice soup dish by the way.

20. Cakelaw March 6, 2014 at 06:57 #

Yours actually looks like soup – mine was more like hash. Either way, I am on board with the fact that this dish was delicious.

21. Alice March 10, 2014 at 14:51 #

I’ll bet your neighbor was very pleased! ;)

I think the mushy veg is intentional and lovely in this stew :)

Glad you enjoyed it and I love your photo! I always struggle with soup photos and you really did a great job!