French Fridays with Dorie: (butter and rum) crêpes

Dorie Greenspan crepes on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe was butter and rum crêpes (p 411) which Mr Neil will be surprised to read, since his crêpes contained neither butter, nor rum ;) I made the executive decision, that at the end of a long weekend that had included snowshoeing around a vineyard and tasting wine as well as eating lamington-cream puffs, that we didn’t really need buttery, alcoholic crêpes ;) So, I made crêpes. And really I don’t think anyone can complain when they are served a plate of crêpes sprinkled with a little sugar and citrus zest, right? I was most curious to try Dorie’s recipe (it’s got a little zest in the actual batter) as a good crêpe batter recipe is hard to find. I’m pleased to report that this one was a winner AND it made the exact amount the recipe specified (of course I halved it – 5 crêpes is plenty for 2 people!). Even sans proper crêpe pan, these came out lovely and thin, I was pretty pleased. And actually, good to know – we didn’t eat these right away (gotta get them photographed in the daylight though!) and they were not bad re-heated for a few minutes wrapped in foil in a hot oven. So, a week of great discoveries!

You can find a version of Dorie’s crêpe recipe here. FFwD badgeFrench Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

, , , , , , ,

26 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: (butter and rum) crêpes

1. Liz February 21, 2014 at 07:13 #

LOL…I seem to make a lot of food executive decisions, too! Dorie does it again…a winner!

2. Cher February 21, 2014 at 08:20 #

I like how you call it “executive decisions” vs. “going rogue” :-)

• Mardi Michels February 21, 2014 at 08:22 #

Hey, I followed the recipe! Just not all of it!

3. yummychunklet February 21, 2014 at 13:53 #

Your crepes look fantastic. Yum!

4. Karen February 21, 2014 at 14:04 #

It sounds like you like the word crepe! ;) Glad these were a win with your executive decision! :)

5. Beth (OMG! Yummy) February 21, 2014 at 14:08 #

Oh I am missing my FFWD peeps! I sense a blender full of batter coming to my kitchen today – we are big on crepes around here because they are the basis for blintzes and I’ve already written two posts on those. And um they are the perfect vehicle for nutella as well. Love your simple presentation with a bit more zest and sugar. Lovely Mardi!

6. Kathy February 21, 2014 at 14:53 #

I agree that not all crepe batters produce a wonderful crepe, but this one from Dorie was fantastic! I made this recipe three times in the last two weeks! They were a favorite of my grandsons! Yours look delicious…butter and rum or not!!

7. Mr. Neil February 21, 2014 at 17:12 #

It was *not bad*.

8. Tricia S. February 21, 2014 at 18:53 #

Lovely. Just lovely. Having enjoyed this version myself I was actually thinking of tweaking it to make it a bit more “plain” for some savory fillings- so I totally understand the route you took. And it sounds like such fun in the reasoning that led to your decision- very exciting adventures indeed. Also nice to know that they reheat well. Hopefully one day we will actually have (non Napa cabbage) leftovers in my house :)

9. Mary Hirsch February 21, 2014 at 20:56 #

From the looks of these beautiful creatures, I don’t think Mr. Neil suffered at all. But, what does “not bad” really mean? Mardi, snowshoeing eats up ALL kinds of calories. You probably could have gone with the rum and butter without too much clogging of any of your body vitals. (remembering that I am not a doctor). Nice job. BTW, the P&Q’s for the garbure is up.

• Mr. Neil February 23, 2014 at 12:14 #

We spent a fortnight travelling through Brittany: Mr. Neil’s standards are high with crepes. ;-)

I wouldn’t refuse these or anything…they just weren’t stellar. Ratio of dough and filling a bit off. Maybe freshly cooked I’d have been more enthusiastic.

Just gives mademoiselle an opportunity to try making them again! :-)

10. Gracie ~ Food Fascination February 21, 2014 at 23:52 #

I agree, this recipe is a big winner!

11. Nana February 22, 2014 at 10:21 #

This was a winner with most of the Doristas. The flavors are terrific with vanilla but next time I will bring out the good stuff… Your crepes look perfect as is, which is the way my mother made them, plain, with a touch of sugar.

12. Candy (Dulce) February 22, 2014 at 10:26 #

Mine didn’t seem to want to cooperate, but yours look wonderful. Maybe I need to try again… they are delicious in so many ways.

13. Diane Balch February 22, 2014 at 11:45 #

I didn’t know that it’s hard to find a good crepe recipe. I never made them before… but thin seems to be the way to go… otherwise you probably end up with pancakes.

14. betsy February 22, 2014 at 21:11 #

Good to know the crepes without the butter, but it was just a little bit, not nearly as much as the sauce. I think these were a great reward for snowshoeing in a vineyard. That sounds quite magical.

15. TheKitchenLioness February 23, 2014 at 08:06 #

Mardi, very lovely loooking crêpes on a very pretty plate! So glad that you enjoyed the recipe even sans the butter and alcohol!
    Have a nice Sunday!

16. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks February 23, 2014 at 11:51 #

I only skipped the alcohol basically because I had run out of Rum – a stable in our house – :) But still the crepes were so delicious! I love your photograph :) :)

17. jora February 23, 2014 at 13:17 #

Thanks for the re-heating advice. That was my biggest complaint about these. Your long weekend sounds incredible!

18. Rose February 23, 2014 at 13:33 #

Sounds like the right executive decision to me. I was happy to have finally mastered lemon curd, but next time I make crepes, they will be an equally simple version.

19. Cakelaw February 23, 2014 at 15:44 #

Your crepes look great! I agree, neither butter nor rum are required.

20. Renee February 23, 2014 at 20:10 #

Your crepes look so lovely! I think these were quite good. I do have some left over so I am glad to hear that they can be re-heated so easily. (I don’t mind them cold but warm would be better!)

21. Margaret February 23, 2014 at 22:30 #

Yes, 1/2 of the recipe was plenty for the two of us. I filled mine with caramel and chocolate.

22. Tanusree February 24, 2014 at 01:51 #

Your crepes look lovely. I stuffed ours with lemon curd and drizzled the honey-citrus sauce only to realize later that the crepes taste wonderful even without all that…

23. Teresa February 24, 2014 at 21:49 #

I made the curd and the sauce, but these crêpes stand up without accompaniment, too. Yours turned out beautifully.