Galette des rois

Galette des rois on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt’s January 6th! Do you know what that means? Well, apart from being “back to work day” for many of us (myself included), it’s Epiphany. Epipha-what? I hear you asking…  Epiphany – January 6th – celebrates the visit to the baby Jesus by the Three Kings (the Magi), hence the name of the treat that is widely eaten to commemorate this day – la Galette des Rois or King Cake.  I first became familiar with the Galette when I was living in France and have been meaning to make my own for a few years now. There are two distinct types of king cake – this one that I am sharing today which is traditionally eaten in northern France – a flaky pastry “cake”  filled with frangipane (a mix of crème d’amande and crème pâtissière). The “cake” is topped with a paper crown that the finder of the fève (traditionally a dried bean but nowadays more likely to be a small figuring or a trinket) will wear, being crowned King or Queen for the day.  In southern parts of France, the cake (called a gâteau des rois) is more like a crown-shaped (ring) brioche filled with dried candied fruits, also containing the fève.

Galette des rois for January 6 on eatlivetravelwrite.comWhen I lived in France, I enjoyed many a galette des rois – hey, when someone tells you that it’s tradition to eat a delicious pastry and pair it with champagne just days after you’ve sworn off such luxuries for at least a month, you don’t go against it. It’s tradition, after all! I had never made one until this past weekend when I returned home and was taking stock of the fridge and freezer contents making shopping lists and noticed that I had store-bought puff pastry in the freezer and all of a sudden I got to wondering would it be cheating to use store-bought pastry for a galette des rois? I am still fairly jetlagged so I figured I could at least use that as an excuse for my laziness… I did a little Google research….

Galette des Rois for Epiphany on eatlivetravelwrite.comWhen I saw that some of my favourite food writers had recipes for galette des rois using store-bought pastry (albeit in France where I am sure the quality of the store-bought pastry is far superior to what I can get here in Toronto), I felt better. After all, not everyone has time to make their own pastry all the time, right? I looked through a ton of recipes and decided to go with Clotilde Dusoulier‘s recipe for the filling – it uses a pure crème d’amande (with a touch of hazelnut meal too), forgoing the crème pâtissière that would make it into a frangipane. What’s the difference?  Well according to Clotilde:  “Crème d’amande (almond cream) is a simple mix of butter, sugar, ground almonds, and eggs, more or less in equal parts. Frangipane, on the other hand, is a blend of crème d’amande and crème pâtissière (pastry cream), which is made with eggs, milk, sugar, and flour or cornstarch. Most galettes sold out there are filled with frangipane rather than crème d’amande — the production cost of frangipane is a lot lower, since the almonds are the most expensive ingredient in there — but my preference goes to crème d’amande, which makes a more delicate, less eggy, more flavorful filling.” I agree with Clotilde – the crème d’amande is much more delicate.

Galette des rois sliced on eatlivetravelwrite.comClotilde’s recipe is simple to make and her step-by-step pictures made the “construction” of the galette so easy too. For a first effort, I was pretty happy with my galette – I did not freeze it overnight as she suggests you can do, rather it spent a few hours in the fridge before I baked it. The top layer puffed beautifully (although it sank on one side when it cooled) but the bottom layer didn’t. I wonder if a night in the fridge or freezer might have helped?

A slice of galette des rois on eatlivetravelwrite.comI didn’t have a crown handy (as one really doesn’t) so I experimented with some Christmassy decorations in the pictures above but really a decent galette is beautiful in its own right, n’est-ce pas?  This is headed in to either Neil’s work or my staff room so I’ll make sure to warn everyone about the bean (it’s not very big so if you aren’t expecting it it might be a bit of a surprise!). In any case, in France these days, you can get galettes des rois through the entire month of January so it’s not too late to make your own.  Here’s Clotilde’s easy recipe for Galette des Rois using store-bought pastry.

Other posts about Galettes des Rois you might enjoy:

David Lebovitz’s galette des rois recipe
Dorie Greenspan’s galette des rois recipe
Galette des Rois on French Foodie in Dublin
Galette du Coeur 2014 on Paris Breakfast

, , , ,

28 Responses to Galette des rois

1. David @ Frenchie and the Yankee January 6, 2014 at 07:28 #

What a lovely galette!!!

2. clotilde January 6, 2014 at 08:09 #

Gorgeous, Mardi, thanks for sharing pictures of your galette! You’re all set to open your own French pastry shop now. :)

To answer the question you had about the puff pastry, the bottom layer never puffs like the top one, as it is weighed down by the filling. From what I can tell in the pics, yours is perfect!

• Mardi Michels January 11, 2014 at 16:11 #

Oh thank you Clotilde – I don’t think I am ready to open my own pâtisserie just yet but I was pleased with this as a first effort!

3. Mr. Neil January 6, 2014 at 08:46 #

Well a nice breakfast treat for Epiphany – alas, no bean for me. Hopefully that’s not an omen of the year ahead…

4. Paula January 6, 2014 at 10:14 #

Welcome home Mardi and Happy New Year to you. Beautiful looking galette.

5. parisbreakfast January 6, 2014 at 12:05 #

This looks fabulous Mardi!
    Plenty of frangipane inside the way I like it
    Somein Paris are on the meager side.

6. Coco in the Kitchen January 6, 2014 at 15:19 #

This is on my to-do list, so lovely. Must taste heavenly.
    Absolutely gorgeous, Mardi.
    Happy 2014!

7. Cher January 6, 2014 at 15:54 #

Gorgeous. This isn’t a holiday we celebrate around here, but I was delighted to see all of these gorgeous pastries show up on my instagram feed.

• Mardi Michels January 11, 2014 at 16:09 #

See now you NEED to celebrate this one next year Cher :)

8. French Foodie in Dublin January 6, 2014 at 17:35 #

Thank you so much for the mention Mardi! Your galette looks perfect, love it! Bonne année!

• Mardi Michels January 11, 2014 at 16:08 #

Merci and you’re welcome – I love your take on the galette!

9. Geoff January 6, 2014 at 23:57 #

Even the name is elegant.

10. yummychunklet January 7, 2014 at 11:50 #

I love galette des rois! Yum! Almond!

11. Aimee @ Simple Bites January 7, 2014 at 21:21 #

Welcome back!

I am craving this something fierce now. You totally nailed this, Mardi!!

12. Janice (@KtchnHealsSoul) January 8, 2014 at 22:48 #

Looks fantastic! I love crème d’amande. It’s so delicious and when it’s stuffed in between layers of puff, oh my!

Did you see the post I did years ago on making a galette des rois, when my galette basically spewed out most of its filling as it baked (yeah, I know that sounds terrible, it also looked absolutely disgusting, lol)? Your attempt is a million times more successful than mine was! In retrospect, it was really, really funny. In the moment though, I’m pretty sure that I was crying ;)

• Mardi Michels January 11, 2014 at 16:07 #

No I didn’t Janice but I am heading back to see if I can find it! I can imagine in the moment it wouldn’t have been funny but glad you can laugh at it now!

13. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 9, 2014 at 21:57 #

So lovely! I love the first photo with the side view of all of those gorgeous layers of pastry. I’ve never made Galette de Rois before, but I think I will have to change that next year. Thank you for the inspiration!

• Mardi Michels January 11, 2014 at 16:06 #

Oh you definitely need to introduce Miss Maddie to the Galette des Rois!

14. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons January 10, 2014 at 06:53 #

Mardi, your galette looks delicious. I can’t get enough of them right now so making at home is far better. No crown? You mean you didn’t have crackers at Christmas with silly paper crown hats like us? I’m jealous ;-)
    The one I made last weekend wasn’t chilled (I ran out of time) and it came out fine but I also wonder if it changes much if you chill it for a while. Another excuse to have another one since love lots of crème d’amandes too.

• Mardi Michels January 11, 2014 at 16:05 #

Of course I had crackers at Christmas but I didn’t exactly keep the crown to bring home ;) I would like to see if a night in the fridge/ freezer would make a difference too…

Trackbacks/Pingbacks