French Fridays with Dorie: Christine’s simple party soups

Dorie Greenspan's Asparagus, red pepper and broccoli soups on eatlivetravelwrite.comWell thankfully for everyone involved, I am not (unlike last week) making this week’s French Fridays with Dorie dish in my still-jetlagged fog  (uh huh, that thing they say about the older you get the longer it takes you to recover from jetlag is true. Boo.) Nope, I made this week’s recipe (a trio of asparagus, red pepper and broccoli soups, p 62) on Christmas Eve for a light-ish dinner in the heat of a Sydney summer. They were perfect and festive.

Oh and did I mention simple? These soups contain broth (I used chicken) and the vegetables -asparagus (with a little zucchini for colour), red pepper and broccoli (again, with the zucchini) – cooked down for about 15 minutes then blitzed (I used an immersion blender). Knowing Dorie’s penchant for thinner soups, I used my discretion with the liquid portion to make a thicker soup than Dorie probably likes but that worked well for us.

Asparagus, red pepper and broccoli soups on eatlivetravelwrite.comI found these to be a revelation – so very simple (2-3 ingredients, not counting pepper/ salt), so tasty and so fast! It will certainly make me think twice about throwing out a wrinkly pepper – and you don’t even need proper stock – according to Dorie, many home cooks in France use stock cubes. So don’t throw away those “on the verge” veggies – make soup! A GREAT intention for 2014, right?

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links.  If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

, , , , , , ,

48 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Christine’s simple party soups

1. Ei January 17, 2014 at 06:05 #

I’m glad yours turned out well. Love the color in the red pepper soup!

2. Liz January 17, 2014 at 06:41 #

NIce, Mardi! I think mine needed a boost of flavor…maybe bullion over stock would have done the trick.

• Mardi Michels January 18, 2014 at 21:17 #

Not sure but maybe pesto like Cher says below?

3. Cher January 17, 2014 at 07:51 #

This was a good way to clean out the veggie bin :-) I threw in pesto for flavor – it definitely made a difference.

Pretty presentation.

4. Kate (@KatefromScratch) January 17, 2014 at 09:35 #

I use vegetarian vegetable cubes in place of actual stock all the time, honestly. I suppose I never really saw the harm. haha. They look gorgeous!

• Mardi Michels January 18, 2014 at 21:16 #

I think it all depends on what you are used to, to be honest!

5. EmilyC January 17, 2014 at 11:01 #

Simple to put together and delightful to taste!

6. Rose January 17, 2014 at 13:34 #

I took away the same lesson this week. These recipes were a great reminder that even when you think there’s nothing to eat, there probably is.

• Mardi Michels January 18, 2014 at 21:15 #

“These recipes were a great reminder that even when you think there’s nothing to eat, there probably is.” Indeed!

7. Cakelaw January 17, 2014 at 17:31 #

They look so pretty! Great job.

8. Sara January 17, 2014 at 19:40 #

I wish I’d thought to hold back on the broth – I would have liked a thicker soup. Even so, they do look pretty!

9. Geraldine Saucier January 17, 2014 at 19:48 #

Your soups look lovely. I only made the Broccoli soup and it was delicious. Hope you have a nice weekend:)

10. yummychunklet January 17, 2014 at 20:20 #

My sentiments exactly. I love how easy these soups were!

11. Diane Balch January 17, 2014 at 20:31 #

Wise woman remembering Dorie’s thin soup. Yes I agree, “a revelation” truly delicious and simple to make.

12. Adriana January 17, 2014 at 21:17 #

I didn’t mind as much the thinness of the soup this time around, especially since it seems these were meant to be sipped from regular drink ware.

The golden holly placemat/napkin is so pretty!

• Mardi Michels January 18, 2014 at 21:14 #

Yes the thinner soup was meant for sipping! And thanks – I found that placemat at home and thought it was perfect!

13. Trevor Sis. Boom. January 17, 2014 at 21:34 #

I bet the green and red combo was a nice Christmas touch. I was somewhat unimpressed and still trying to wrap my mind around these cubes.

• Mardi Michels January 18, 2014 at 21:13 #

I was so pleased I got to make these for Christmas! We didn’t use cubes – broth all the way!

14. betsy January 17, 2014 at 22:34 #

Yes, I loved these too. They were just so simple. I was surprised at the flavor. I know some people have said the soups were bland, but I didn’t find that to be the case. Just loved the simplicity! Perfect colors for Christmas.

15. Nana January 18, 2014 at 09:55 #

Lovely presentation. All your soups have a pretty color to them.

16. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks January 18, 2014 at 11:00 #

These soups were exactly what I needed after all the holiday cooking and eating! Simple, delicious and so light!!
    I really really love your photographs :) :)

• Mardi Michels January 18, 2014 at 21:12 #

Thank you Maria – and yes, these were perfect for a break during holiday eating (but I’ll be making them again because they are great for healthy eating!)

17. Alice January 18, 2014 at 11:15 #

These were light but illing! The red bell pepper soup has given me so many ideas!!!

18. Amy Andrews January 18, 2014 at 11:41 #

Great texture — I’m thinking my Vitamix did a bit too much of a blitz! Ha! Nice — glad you enjoyed.

19. Teresa January 18, 2014 at 17:09 #

I held back on the stock, too, but these still didn’t wow me. Love your presentation – so pretty for holidays.

20. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva January 18, 2014 at 19:08 #

Great presentation and summer party soup! We loved the soups and will be making them again. Hope you are getting over your jetlag.

• Mardi Michels January 18, 2014 at 21:10 #

Thanks, I am. And yes, I’ll be making these again soon too!

21. Geoff January 18, 2014 at 19:57 #

I was one of the tasters – I can confirm they were very tasty and, surprisingly for such small servings, quite filling. Come home more often, Mardi.

• Mardi Michels January 18, 2014 at 21:10 #

Yes, given there was hardly any ingredients in there they were filling!

22. Renee January 18, 2014 at 20:52 #

Your soups are gorgeous! I think you are right and soup is the answer to those on the verge veggies. Hope you are getting over the jetlag!

23. Tricia S. January 19, 2014 at 09:56 #

I used my immersion blender as well (it was a gift from Nana years ago) and was reminded how much I do like that gadget. I am not sure why I was so surprised at how easy this recipe was but it really did strike me as some sort of revelation. And an excellent example of how “not fussy” French cooking can be. SImple, thrifty and delicious. Yum.

24. Mary Hirsch January 19, 2014 at 13:25 #

The secret to liking this soup, Mardi, may be in ‘the weather outside your kitchen window.’ Your Post brought that to mind. My red pepper soup, three ways, was delicious. If I ever do it again, I will only do the red pepper-raspberry variation which is outstanding. (I also thickened it up because of Diane’s warning. I didn’t remember that Dorie prefers liquify. My point is, I’m getting to it, that it was 73 degrees here in Calli the day that I made it. I think you and I were the only Dorista’s not suffering from Polar Vortex (Susan and Alice didn’t participate). Like you, I also thought the technique was great. I have no problem with a boullion but I used boxed. Welcome home.

25. Guyla January 21, 2014 at 09:18 #

Mardi I’m glad you enjoyed the soups! They colors make a lovely Christmas presentations. I wish I could have liked them. Something just did not work for me!

26. Coco in the Kitchen January 21, 2014 at 15:12 #

They look so vibrant and delicious!
    You know, I never think to serve soup @ a party. What a great foodie idea.
    Can’t wait to try these.