French Fridays with Dorie: Mme. Maman’s Chopped Liver

Dorie Greenspan Mme Maman's chopped liver on eatlivetravelwrite.comYou know, while I wasn’t too excited to be making “chopped liver” (p 32) – though I prefer to call it pâté de campagne, sounds so much more elegant! – for this week’s French Fridays with Dorie, it wasn’t that bad. I’ll admit I am not a fan of handling raw liver and I’m much more likely to eat a pâté type dish if I haven’t had any part in preparing it but this one was so quick and easy, I had it prepped and in the fridge before I knew it. I guess when you’ve spent a year working through a series of charcuterie challenges (2 times a month!) a bit of chopped liver is child’s play! If you’re interested in the meatiest meal ever including not one but TWO types of pâté, check out our last Charcutepalooza post (“The Last Supper” – not really!)

I tasted a tiny bit of this and thought it was *ok* but it got the thumbs up from Mr Neil who enjoyed this for lunch a couple of times last week – served with thinly sliced baguette, it made for a big of a fancy pants lunch. Homemade pâté for lunch? Whatever next?

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week, you can find the recipe online here), we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Save_With_Jamie

US/ Canadian readers – win a copy of Jamie Oliver’s Save with Jamie – ends Wednesday December 18th 2013 at 6pm EST. Enter here.

, , , , ,

16 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Mme. Maman’s Chopped Liver

1. Liz December 13, 2013 at 06:55 #

The shocker was that Bill liked this! Like Amy said, I would have enjoyed this more at a restaurant, but it was tasty :)

2. Mr. Neil December 13, 2013 at 07:42 #

Mr. Neil indeed did like this. You could argue either way that I’d be a “tough” critic or “easy” critic, as I am partial to chopped liver pate. Well in fact, any offal dish, with the robust flavours they can offer, usually is high on my list.

Pate might be rather mild in that grouping, to be sure. This has nice flavour, and I do very much like a slightly coarse pate. While I did miss the gelee top, I’ll forgive Miss Mardi that. ;-) A touch more spice might have been nice. And while I love liver, this one was fairly full-on…I loved it, but a little something might add another dimension. I’m not sure what? Perhaps some brunoise shallots, caramelised in a bit of good balsamic vinegar?

The only thing truly missing with my lunch in the canteen, alas — a nice glass of wine.

“Homemade pâté for lunch? Whatever next?” CAN’T WAIT TO FIND OUT!

Thanks Dorie for making Mardi produce this. :-)

3. Cher December 13, 2013 at 07:49 #

Y’all are good sports. There are many things that I don’t mind making (stuffing sausage into their skins doesn’t bother me), but there is something just a little too “earthy” with chicken livers, I just can’t do it.

I am glad Mr. Neil was well-treated for lunch. I hope he likes the gravlax, since I have a feeling it won’t make your top ten list :-)

Have a great weekend.

• Mardi Michels December 13, 2013 at 07:52 #

He does like Gravalax but I haven’t made it yet – and now I’ll be making this for my mum and dad in Australia since there’s no time to make it before I leave!

4. Trevor Sis. Boom. December 13, 2013 at 10:54 #

I’m actually going to make this again to serve with some of the soup dinners I have planned this week. I don’t really understand the difference if you make it or don’t make it yourself though. I guess we all have our things, huh? I do like the way you have this looking here though Miss M!

5. Coco in the Kitchen December 13, 2013 at 12:42 #

French pâté’ is the only way I’ll eat liver.
    This looks delightful, a good change from all the usual Christmas appetizers.

6. Rose December 13, 2013 at 12:57 #

Agreed, “pate” sounds much nicer than chopped liver. Maybe that’s why the French eat so much more of it than we do:-)

7. Lola December 13, 2013 at 13:35 #

My onions are browning and my livers are trimmed and ready. Good to know Mr. Neil liked it. We like liver so that isn’t the issue here. It’s the spice combo I’m worried about!

8. betsy December 13, 2013 at 15:41 #

Mardi, I admire your “I’ll make it, even if I hate it” spirit on French Fridays. I know, you like what we make more often than not. I’ll admit that I really liked it.

9. Nana December 14, 2013 at 08:35 #

Happy it turned out so well for you and that Mr. Neil loved it, We enjoyed it and I am
    certainly going to keep this recipe in my file. Happy weekend.

10. Yvonne @ bitter baker December 14, 2013 at 13:43 #

I agree, pate sounds better, but this does look delicious! :)

11. Tricia S. December 14, 2013 at 18:05 #

I am with you on the actual experience was not to bad and luckily, my hubby also enjoyed the results. That said, I am glad this is behind us. Thank goodness the ingredients were so inexpensive and it was such cinch to make. And I want that little blue knife of yours !!!!

12. yummychunklet December 14, 2013 at 20:52 #

Kudos for making and trying this. I had to skip it.

13. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 14, 2013 at 21:03 #

You are brave, my friend… This is a recipe that I would have definitely skipped! Though, I admit that you do make it look far more appetizing than I was expecting.

14. Candy (Dulce) December 15, 2013 at 10:54 #

I think this made for a nice lunch too. But did miss the appropriate accompaniments. Oh well, happy that the dish was well-received!!!

15. Faye December 15, 2013 at 16:07 #

Haha well at least it was appreciated – it still sounds rather yummy to me