French Fridays with Dorie: Dilled Gravlax with Mustard Sauce

Dilled Gravlax with mustard sauce on eatlivetravelwrite.comSo I didn’t get around to this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe before I left for Sydney, much to Mr Neil’s chagrin. But never fear, this Dilled Gravlax with Mustard Sauce (p 30) will be on the menu shortly after I return home – it’s so easy and, apparently, “really, really good”.  Fortunately this dish was a perfect one to “minify”, one I knew my parents (who would be the only ones eating it) would love and one that worked well in terms of our Christmas menus.

It’s also ridiculously easy – the “curing” mix takes about 10 minutes to put together then it sits in the fridge for a couple of days (48 – 72 hours) doing its thing.  Once it’s cured, you rinse off the curing mix, dry it then slice it. Warning, you need a VERY sharp knife (which we didn’t have) or else you won’t get lovely even slices of salmon.  Never mind – when in doubt, make little rolls, top with the mustard sauce and sprinkle with more dill!

Dilled Gravlax from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comWe served this with small home-made toasts topped with a bit of cream cheese as a tasty hors d’eouvre with some Chambord champagne cocktails on Christmas Eve. Pronounced “excellent” by my dad, an unwitting participant in a nearly 100% Dorie meal (we had some soups for an upcoming French Friday as well!), I know I’ll be required to make this for Mr Neil in the next couple of weeks.  The mustard sauce that accompanies this dish is also excellent – would work with lots of other fish dishes.

Dorie Greenspan's Dilled Gravlax with mustard sauce on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt’s the last French Friday of 2013 – thanks for all your cheerleading this year – I’ve still not missed one week since October 2010 :)  Onwards and upwards to January 2014 where I got to choose one of the recipes – tune in each Friday to see what I picked!

Wishing you all the best for a wonderful 2014 that includes lots of family, friends and, of course, food!

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week, you can find the recipe online here), we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

, , , , , , ,

24 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Dilled Gravlax with Mustard Sauce

1. Janice (@KtchnHealsSoul) December 27, 2013 at 01:48 #

When I made gravlax the first time, I was convinced that I had to be doing something wrong because it seemed too easy. I was also sure that when it was finally ready, it’d probably poison me. But it didn’t, and it tasted yummy! The annoying part is having to patiently wait for it to be done, but it’s so worth it!
    Congrats on not skipping a single week of French Fridays with Dorie since 2010! That really is impressive :)
    Happy Holidays!

2. Cakelaw December 27, 2013 at 02:05 #

I think this would taste great however it was sliced. Hope you are enjoying your time back in Oz, and wishing you a Happy New Year!

3. Rose December 27, 2013 at 05:57 #

How fun that you got a chance to share some of your FFwD adventures with your parents. We did have a sharp knife and still found this one difficult to slice nicely. But regardless of appearances, it was darn tasty and I’m sure Mr. Neil will enjoy it.

4. French Cooking for Dummies December 27, 2013 at 06:19 #

I’m sooo craving salmon gravlax right now!!! Can’t have it for a few more months though… Definitely saving your recipe for the raw food orgy I’ll have this spring ;)

5. Cher December 27, 2013 at 07:43 #

I am sure that Mr. Neil will be waiting with a side of salmon when you step off the plane :-)

Happy New Year, Mardi!

6. Liz December 27, 2013 at 09:18 #

I, too, didn’t use a sharp enough knife, but it was terrific whether cut thick or thin! Happy, happy New Year, Mardi! Enjoy your family time.

7. Lynda December 27, 2013 at 10:43 #

Happy new year to you, Mardi. Hope you have a wonderful trip down under. And thanks for the prod – it’s time to make my gravlax!

8. Mr. Neil December 27, 2013 at 12:34 #

Well first, it must be said I already made this myself. So HA! Well, without the mustard sauce…

And second, I’m thinking this might be a good *excuse* to purchase a proper, single-bevel, sushi knife. You know, perhaps something from Tosho Knife Arts. :-)

The below looks like it would handle the salmon just fine… ;-)

9. EmilyC December 27, 2013 at 13:00 #

Fabulous pictures! So glad that I am part of FFwD and looking forward to next year! Happy New Year!!!

10. HappinessSavouredHot December 27, 2013 at 17:00 #

You had me at gravlax! I so love it.

I will probably be back, as eating, traveling and writing are the things I prefer… :-)

11. betsy December 27, 2013 at 20:34 #

Glad you could share with your parents, Mardi. Get them in on the fun! I think the little rolls are a pretty way to present the fish. It’s been great fun cooking with you this year, and I look to 2014. Happy New Year!

12. Jamie December 28, 2013 at 08:15 #

Mmmm just saw Liz’s but yours look scrumptious with the sauce on top. And the toasts look really good! I need to make this. I think it would make a great meal in it itself. I’ve been following your Aussie trip on instagram and am quite jealous. Looks like you are having a blast! Happy Holidays to you and yours! xo

13. Guyla December 28, 2013 at 08:39 #

Glad your folks enjoyed the gravlax Mardi! I didn’t have anyone here who would enjoy it so I skipped it. Maybe I’ll do a make up when I find people who would appreciate it. Your photos are lovely! Happy New Year to you, your family and Mr. Neil too!

14. Nana December 28, 2013 at 10:00 #

It’s so nice to be able to share a recipe with your folks and that they enjoyed it. This was a perfect way to end the year. Enjoy your time home, and I wish you and Mr. Neil a very happy New Year. Looking forward to more fun in 2014.

15. Diane Balch December 28, 2013 at 10:09 #

Happy New Year Mardi. We had ours for Christmas Eve also.. wonderful have a lovely time down under.

16. Trevor Sis. Boom. December 28, 2013 at 10:54 #

I took it to a party and decided to bring my knife with me so as not to risk it. Turned out to be a good move. Beautiful bites here! Have fun down under!

17. Kathy December 28, 2013 at 17:25 #

How wonderful that you spent Christmas in Australia with your parents. So glad they got to sample and enjoy some of our French Friday fare. Your gravlax looks perfect! I really enjoyed this one.
    Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Mardi!

18. Mary Hirsch December 28, 2013 at 20:16 #

I don’t think my first comment worked so I will try again. It’s a long trip from Canada to Australia so I am glad you took Dorie along for the ride. Thank you for taking the time from your hectic traveling schedule to pick a recipe choice for January. Your gravlax looks tasty. I loved making it only didn’t do the sauce. Used cream cheese, capers and onions with bagels and gravlax for after-Christmas breakfast. Have a wonderful holiday with your family and travel safely home.

19. Tricia S. December 29, 2013 at 09:54 #

Happy, happy New Year to you as well !! It has been such fun cooking along with you this year, as well as enjoying your reports from afar- such as the France trip. It was a pretty lovely year overall, and for those weeks that were not so fabulous, at least we had our French Fridays to look forward to !! Now the gravlax. Gorgeous and so glad your folks liked it. I am like you about the fish and thankfully had family who wanted it- lots of it !! Next time I too will get the sharpest knife prepared and try to up my cutting skills but other than that the recipe was a cinch. Happy New Year and safe travels !!

20. Coco in the Kitchen December 30, 2013 at 12:19 #

I could eat gravlax EVERY single day and my li’l girl takes after me.
    My husband usually smokes some sockeye salmon for us with cedar chips
    and it is the absolute best.
    But, you’re right – we could all use a sushi knife in our kitchen arsenal.
    Might have to go shopping now…

21. yummychunklet December 30, 2013 at 13:08 #

Had to skip this one. Great post, though!

22. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva December 31, 2013 at 12:16 #

Happy New Year Mardi! This is a terrific post and how fun to share FFWD with your parents. Hope you have had a wonderful holiday with your family in Australia. Looking forward to another year of reading your fantastic posts!

23. Josie Tavares January 1, 2014 at 22:31 #

Hi Mardi!

Sorry I haven’t stopped by the blog in a while… ya know I make sure to keep in touch via instagram. ;) I just wanted to make sure and wish you the best in 2014! xoxo -Josie

24. Candy (Dulce) January 4, 2014 at 16:02 #

I finally caught up with this one. The Salmon and/or gravlox lovers loved this. The rest of us loved the home made pumpernickel that I made to go with. Happy that you were able to share some of our little group with your folks!