French Fridays with Dorie: Muenster Cheese Soufflés

Cheese souffle on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt baked. It rose. It fell. Pretty much sums up this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Muenster Cheese Soufflés, p 152).

I’m not so good at making soufflés. Well actually I am not so good at getting the photo of a soufflé.   I’ve never managed to get a photo of one still risen – not for these Dorie Greenspan classic cheese soufflés nor these “Twice Baked” goat cheese soufflés for the Daring Cooks. But the “twice baked” ones taught me that even a fallen soufflé can taste great.

So even though they started to fall before my eyes 2 seconds after I opened the oven door and by the time the reached the table a couple of feet away, they looked like this:

Cheese souffle for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comthey still tasted great. Even the next day, reheated on a bed of arugula lightly dressed with vinaigrette. Not quite the dramatic beauty one expects with a soufflé but I guess you have to be there. At the very moment they are ready to eat!

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week, you can find the recipe online here), we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

, , , ,

28 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Muenster Cheese Soufflés

1. Adriana October 25, 2013 at 05:57 #

Seeing your deflated yet beautiful soufflé before sunrise makes me wonder if I can squeeze that in before going to work. I’m loving the browned, crusty top.

• Mardi Michels November 10, 2013 at 16:46 #

I am glad you did make these for your breakfast!

2. Rose October 25, 2013 at 06:32 #

Yep, that’s why I took my first picture while it was still in the oven. I wanted proof that they had risen! Then I had my camera ready and if I had kept all the shots, I could have probably posted a time lapse series of them falling. In fact, that’s not a bad idea for next time. By the time I had gotten them plated (1 minute after they were out? maybe 2?) they had fallen. But I think that’s what souffles do and so long as they taste good, I’m happy. You just need to learn my trick about low expectations:-)

• Mardi Michels November 10, 2013 at 16:45 #

I wished I would have taken a pic when they were in the oven too!

3. Cher October 25, 2013 at 08:02 #

I made every one get in the kitchen when I was about to take mine out of the oven :-)

Your souffle looks wonderful and I bet it tasted even better!

4. Liz October 25, 2013 at 09:57 #

Yeah, I made a MAD dash to my sunroom where I had the whole scene ready to go….I’m sure I lost some of the poof, too. But these were marvelous hot, cold, puffed and fallen :)

• Mardi Michels November 10, 2013 at 16:45 #

Gosh I didn’t make it 2 metres, let alone into another room!

5. EmilyC October 25, 2013 at 10:51 #

I do belive you that that was DELISH! Don’t think any picture can replace our hearts’ delight and memories when the souffles first leave the oven!

6. Nana October 25, 2013 at 10:57 #

Definitely a challenge, but delicious all the same. We loved this recipe and I am going to search for some French muenster and try it again.

7. Susan October 25, 2013 at 12:14 #

You know, it looks fine to me – I think we’re our own worst critics!

Enjoy your weekend!

8. Kathy October 25, 2013 at 13:39 #

I think they look beautiful! That’s what souffles do…they deflate! Mine rose beautifully and then…poof! But they were utterly delicious!

9. Diane Balch October 25, 2013 at 19:30 #

Still looks beautiful. I heard that if you put a little cream of tartar in a souffle it will keep it’s poof longer?

10. yummychunklet October 25, 2013 at 20:04 #

Your souffle looks great!

11. Margaret October 25, 2013 at 20:19 #

AS long as they tasted good. Mine rose, and fell. But were tasty.

12. Trevor Sis. Boom. October 26, 2013 at 01:30 #

At least it rose first! you got that lovely craggly look that I always think is so elegant.

13. Cakelaw October 26, 2013 at 02:37 #

Your souffle looks delicious, and it did rise – that’s the main thing.

14. Teresa October 26, 2013 at 03:43 #

I think it looks great. Also, what’s a little soufflé trouble to someone who can make perfect macarons? These sound delicious.

15. Denise October 26, 2013 at 08:17 #

Someone just told me of your blog and also “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. (also a blog) I just “Liked” his Facebook page and came to your blog. It’s wonderful. I love when people share blogs with each other. Denise

16. Candy (Dulce) October 26, 2013 at 19:29 #

I still think it looks beautiful – and since it’s going to fall anyway when you cut into it…? I was actually happy that the leftovers were pretty tasty the next day too. Yummy!

17. betsy October 26, 2013 at 21:31 #

These do deflate fast. Yours looked wonderfully browned. I was glad they were good leftover too.

18. Tricia October 27, 2013 at 10:14 #

LOL- the more posts I read, the more I wonder about how much my souffles actually rose ?? I guess I will simply need to make them again – soon – and test the height ……before I smear them all over that toast again. Oh my that was just so so good, even if a bit unconventional. And I think I am now a convert to “team smelly cheese”. Yay, another food to desire……

• Mardi Michels November 10, 2013 at 16:44 #

I’ve never heard of soufflé being “smeared over toast” ;)

19. Amy Andrews October 28, 2013 at 16:16 #

Still a gorgeous color — I can almost taste it. :)

20. jora October 29, 2013 at 13:22 #

Your souffle is beautiful – even fallen. I really enjoyed the re-heated leftovers too.

• Mardi Michels November 10, 2013 at 16:43 #

Thankfully they taste just as good re-heated :)

21. Coco in the Kitchen October 29, 2013 at 15:33 #

I almost bit my computer monitor!