French Fridays with Dorie: Veal Chops with Rosemary Butter

Veal Chops with Rosemary Butter from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Believe it or not, I barely made any changes to this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Veal Chops with Rosemary Butter, p268). It looked like a simple dish and who am I to mess with simple flavours, especially when they are Dorie-approved.  As she says, you don’t have to do much to make a veal chop taste good.

Dorie Greenspan's Veal Chops with Rosemary Butter on eatlivetravelwrite.com

The only things I did wrong this week were 1. I only bought one chop (Not sure what I was thinking but duh!) and 2. I bought a loin chop, not a rib chop as Dorie suggests. I couldn’t find rib chops, just shoulder and loin but figured that, well, it wouldn’t make much difference. In fact, this was the perfect birthday dinner for Mr Neil – though I tried to counter the “all meat” factor by serving it with green beans that he declared “not the right match”. Whatever, it looked pretty – they are not pictured here because, well, I forgot to bring them outside when I was taking the photo. Can you tell I made this in the first week of school? ;)

Anyway, onto the veal.  It’s basically a pan-roasted chop with a creamy sauce made from white wine and chicken stock topped with a pat of rosemary butter (note to self: keep compound butter in the freezer at all times. So awesome). Once you have seasoned the meat, you let it stand at room temperature for a while (you can season the meat and make the compound butter the day before for extra flavour – just bring the meat to room temperature before you cook it) and from there, it takes around 15 minutes from start to finish. And, if I do say so myself, it looks like it took way longer. Always a great bonus in my book!

Veal Chops with Rosemary Butter for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.com

I’ll definitely be making this dish again (for me this time!) and I’ll use the techniques from this simple but oh-so-tasty one pan dish again too!

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week, you can find the recipe online here), we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

WORLDWIDE giveaway: Clotilde Dusoulier’s The French Market Cookbook (she of Chocolate & Zucchini). Closes Wednesday September 25th at 6pm EST.

, , , , , ,

21 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Veal Chops with Rosemary Butter

1. Cher September 13, 2013 at 06:07 #

Happy Birthday to Mr. Neil!

Mardi the minifier of recipes :-) It looks lovely.

2. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes September 13, 2013 at 08:03 #

I agree about the green beans… mashed potatoes to soak that juice! It looks gorgeous Mardi, I’d eat it right from the skillet!

3. Mr. Neil September 13, 2013 at 08:15 #

It was lovely!

Veal is in my category of “the cuter it is walking, the better it tastes on the dinner plate”. (With slight apologies to you vegetarians out there.) I should have it more often, and certainly will if Mardi produces a dish like this! (And kudos to Mardi for cooking it perfectly [for me], with nice red interior and juices flowing.)

As she said, there’s not much you have to do when you start with a nice piece of veal…as is true with so much meat or fish.

The compound butter is a nice way of incorporating the rosemary (fresh from our herb garden), and just adds that gorgeous French butteriness. Such a delicate meat.

For the pairing…well veal demands something a little lighter. If you’re going red, avoid Cabernet or Shiraz, or a bold CHateauneuf du Pape, I say. While in some respects they may work, they can overpower. This one will even work with white.

My recommendation – especially for a birthday dinner – is a nice Bourgogne. White (Chardonnay) or red (Pinot Noir) work beautifully, on different levels. New World will work on the former, as you want something with a little oak…but not too much. So if you’re selecting from California, tread lightly. On the Pinot, I’d far prefer Old World, to kick up the herbaceous notes and tone down the fruit. Oregon and Ontario (PEC, preferably) will be nice, as will New Zealand or Tasmania.

A fine meal.

4. Rose September 13, 2013 at 11:43 #

I was also reminded how good compound butter is and also asked myself why I don’t make it more often. So darn easy and it adds not only flavor but a touch of class. Well, it does if you remember it. Yours looks great.

5. Liz September 13, 2013 at 13:00 #

Stunning! Love the loin chop idea!

6. Diane Balch September 13, 2013 at 17:29 #

Your sauce came out perfect… you got a wonderful thickness to it… lovely.

7. Tricia September 13, 2013 at 20:12 #

Happy Birthday Mr Neil ! Yup – this was one photogenic meal. And I concur about keeping that butter on hand at all times- amazing.

8. yummychunklet September 13, 2013 at 20:50 #

Happy Birthday! Simply fantastic!

9. Mary Hirsch September 13, 2013 at 21:25 #

Happy Birthday, Mr. Neil, and next time, Mardi, buy two birthday chops, for sure. Although I had corn-on-the-cob and peaches with my own veal chop (which were delicious with it) but I could have eaten that whole veal chop on its own. I thought Dorie’s recipe was delicious.

10. Betsy September 13, 2013 at 22:31 #

What a great birthday meal for Mr. Neil! That compound butter was the star. Keeping a stash in the freezer is definitely a plan for my future! We’ll miss you big time next week.

11. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva September 14, 2013 at 16:27 #

Fantastic birthday meal! I think your Mr. Neil and my Sous Chef would get along quite well! This is gorgeous, as always!

12. Nana September 14, 2013 at 19:02 #

Happy birthday to Mr. Neil. That is one fabulous looking dinner. Mardi, I would be glad to supply you with my little packages, but you are you far away. Have a great weekend.

13. Cakelaw September 15, 2013 at 08:20 #

That is one fabulous looking chop!

14. Guyla September 17, 2013 at 17:26 #

Looks delicious Mardi! We just had the chops with a salad and a glass of Pinot Grigio!

15. KarenP September 18, 2013 at 00:51 #

Your chop looks fantastic!