Tuesdays with Dorie: Raspberry-Fig Crostata

Tuesdays with Dorie Baking with Julia raspberry and fig crostata on eatlivetravelwrite.comWell now. A lattice tart for this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie (Raspberry-Fig Crostata, page 374)? A pastry made with almond flour and sesame seeds? Both sounded a little challenging considering I haven’t baked (well, properly baked following a recipe) for a while now. But I just put on my pastry head, channelled my inner Kate Hill and got on with it. If you don’t fear the pastry, you’ll be fine!

In fact, even though this dough was ridiculously sticky and tacky, it was pretty forgiving (as in, when it broke, I was able to patch it together pretty well) and at the end of the day, it made me realise that I should make lattice tarts/ pies more often. I don’t like a two-crust pie too much (unless it’s an Australian meat pie) so the lattice does a nice job of being “in between” a pie and a galette.

Baking with Julia raspberry and fig crostata on eatlivetravelwrite.com

And yes it does bother my OCD tendancies that the lattice is not evenly braided (or latticed?). Not sure how it got “out of order” because I was methodical laying the pastry strips over each other but it looks all wrong looking at it now. I need a lattice pie making tutorial!

The filling of this tart was incredible – raspberry and white figs cooked down to basically a very thick jam/ compote. I could have just eaten this on icecream.

raspberry fig filling for a pie on eatlivetravelwrite.com

My crostata was a little soft and fall-aparty on the day I made it so I stopped cutting into it until it had spent a little while in the fridge. The next day it was even easier to cut and did well re-heated in the microwave for 30 seconds or so…

Closeup Baking with Julia raspberry and fig crostata on eatlivetravelwrite.com

My crust wasn’t super even across the base and was a little thick in some places around the very edges (where I had to patch it I guess) but it was not bad for a first go…

Slice of Baking with Julia raspberry and fig crostata on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Will I be making this again? You bet – with all sorts of different pastry too.

Tuesdays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week you are lucky – the recipe is here), rather, we prefer if you purchase Baking with Julia for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.  Then join us, baking along at Tuesdays with Dorie.  Go on, you know you want to.

, , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie: Raspberry-Fig Crostata

1. Cher August 20, 2013 at 08:01 #

Yes, the sesame almond dough was a PITA, but very tasty. (And LOVED the filling for this one).

I think you managed the lattice pretty well.

2. Mr. Neil August 20, 2013 at 08:07 #

This was absolutely delicious – crust and filling. Perfect with a nice glass of Cru Banyuls. ;-)

I’m glad you mentioned the lattice work, though: it was driving me to distraction, that it was forgotten. (Perhaps easier with a second pair of hands?)

3. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes August 20, 2013 at 08:10 #

I used apples because figs are out of season, but I can’t wait to try the original filling, and I have a feeling I will eat it with a spoon too. Your comment about the lattice made me smile Mardi! It looks gorgeous!

4. smarkies August 20, 2013 at 10:44 #

Your lattice work looks good. I had issues with mine as well – mine definitely were not even.
    I used apples and raisins as figs and raspberries are not readily available here – wish I could try the original filling.

5. Coco in the Kitchen August 20, 2013 at 13:55 #

Great idea, putting raspberries with figs.
    Love the pastry.

6. steph (whisk/spoon) August 20, 2013 at 14:47 #

wow, that tart filling is a brilliant color! the lattice on your cut slice looks very nice…when you cut it up, who even notices? :)

• Mr. Neil August 20, 2013 at 17:48 #

Some of are even more OCD than Miss Mardi…. ;-)

7. Cathleen August 20, 2013 at 17:28 #

Absolutely beautiful! Love the pic of the filling. The lattice design bothered me as well. This is a completely different way of doing it. This dough would not up to the handling for the traditional method. It is tasty though!

8. SandraM August 20, 2013 at 20:49 #

Beautiful crostata. Love the Mr’s remarks! (will he be on dish duty!!??) :)

• Mr. Neil August 23, 2013 at 07:59 #

Always!

9. Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories August 20, 2013 at 22:33 #

That shot of the jam is just beautiful. Great post! I will definitely be trying this.

10. Geoff August 20, 2013 at 23:07 #

I’m a sucker for a dessert like this. I don’t care if the lattice is askew, send it over.

• Mr. Neil August 23, 2013 at 07:59 #

(But we acknowledge it IS askew, I see…)

11. saucy gander August 21, 2013 at 08:46 #

Wow, your compote looks absolutely stunning! Your lattice looks pretty good to me, I cheated by making mini tarts and avoiding most of the complex lattice work.

12. Ckay August 21, 2013 at 08:57 #

I made the cobbler but I’ll definitely try the crostata.
    I love the combo “sesam/almond” and thanks to your help, I won’t cut it too early.
    Your crostata is gorgeous!

13. Gillian and Inge August 21, 2013 at 14:59 #

Great job Mardi! Like you, I would tend to stress out over the braiding of the lattice top, but it’s the differences that make us all unique, right?

14. yummychunklet August 21, 2013 at 15:24 #

Simply lovely looking crostata!