Making pastry: Simple comme bonjour!

Rustic cheese and tomato galette with basil on eatlivetravelwrite.comThose of you who follow me on Instagram or Twitter will know I love a good galette ;) But did you know that just a little over a year ago, pastry intimidated me? Even though I bake macarons quite often and teach others how, other seemingly easier baking projects, like pastry, eluded me.  Until last year when I watched Kate Hill in The Kitchen at Camont make an apricot tart from scratch, like it was no big deal. Because, well, it was not a big deal at all. It’s as easy as ABC (“simple comme bonjour” en français).

Making shortcrust pastry by eatlivetravelwrite.com

I had the great fortune to visit Kate over the summer in her kitchen at Camont and we took the opportunity to make a real time video of Kate making a pastry crust for a galette.  In the video below, I’ve only sped up a few sections but the entire crust making process takes less than 10 minutes. It’s THAT simple!

Want to learn how to go from scratch to this…

Pastry dough chilling on eatlivetravelwrite.com

to this:

galettes and tarts on eatlivetravelwrite.comWell head on over to my recipe on The Real Women of Philadelphia site – and you too can be making pastry on a week night and not just for special occasions!

Disclosure: I have received compensation for developing a series of posts for the Real Women of Philadelphia website in 2013.

_______________________________

Did you read my blog in your Google Reader? Did you know that Google Reader is longer as of July 1st? What to do? Well you can follow my blog with bloglovin! (and all your other favourites too!) or for a few other suggestions for RSS readers to replace Google Reader, read my post.

, , , , ,

12 Responses to Making pastry: Simple comme bonjour!

1. Mr. Neil August 15, 2013 at 08:53 #

I, for one, celebrate the time MArdi spent with Kate.

Kate, when I see you next summer, drinks on me. BIG TIME. :-)

• kate hill August 15, 2013 at 11:25 #

Looking forward to that! Now about that 1951 vintage armagnac…

2. Lenny August 15, 2013 at 12:15 #

Hey Mardi,

Great video! You should join our G+ Video for Foodies community. It’s all about making food videos and learning from eachother.

Here’s the link – https://plus.google.com/communities/116501013181493542080

I’d love to hear about how you made this video.

Lenny

3. Coco in the Kitchen August 15, 2013 at 12:53 #

I’m going to try my hand at your recipe this w/end.
    There are some beautiful peaches in the fridge and they’ll do nicely
    in a rustic galette. Merci, Mardi!

4. Ann Mah August 15, 2013 at 17:13 #

I am making quiche tonight and am inspired by this video!

5. Liz August 16, 2013 at 08:08 #

I can always use more tips on making pastry! Thanks, Mardi!!!

6. Tamanna August 18, 2013 at 21:05 #

that looks lovely…i still need to master my pastry skills!

7. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 19, 2013 at 12:06 #

So gorgeous! I love all of the baking you have been doing lately. You are no longer allowed to tell me you’re not a baker. :)

And… I am suddenly craving pastry for lunch. And dinner.

• Mardi Michels November 10, 2013 at 18:47 #

I know I can’t say I am not a baker anymore but I do find it challenging still!

8. Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry August 21, 2013 at 10:59 #

I am always on the lookout for tips t improve my pastry making.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. bake it. eat it. share it. repeat. French Butter Pastry Love | Kate Hill's Culinary Retreat in Gascony - August 15, 2013

[...] Now, in the spirit of continual learning and sharing, Mardi Michaels made a little video this summer of me making this Camont Classic- and posted it today. You can see the video here if you need more visual help: http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2013/08/making-pastry-simple-comme-bonjour/. [...]