French Fridays with Dorie: Tzatziki

Dorie Greenspan tzatziki on eatlivetravelwrite.com

It’s going to be a short, sweet French Fridays with Dorie post this week. I’m actually on vacation (well, trying to be, seems there’s always something, always an email to answer that can’t wait….) in the south of France with Neil and a couple of friends so I was extremely pleased to see that this week’s recipe was another “non-recipe” (tzatziki, p 24).

Perfect for whipping up after a day in the Camargue visiting the salt marshes.  It’s hot here so an apéro featuring Tavel rosé, “Chips au Roquefort” (yes, really and yes, they are as good as you think they would be) and this tzatziki hit the spot on our little rooftop terrace as we sat and listened to the cicadas singing. Life’s pretty good, yes.

Tzatziki from Dorie Greenspan on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Of course, scrambling for these ingredients at the last minute meant that I couldn’t get my hands on fresh dill but fortunately our rental house is well stocked and I discovered dried dill in the pantry. I mixed it with a little olive oil and drizzled it on top of the tzatziki just before serving. It wasn’t as good as fresh dill but it did the trick!

Tzatziki from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Cheers! I can’t wait til next week when duck is on the menu – now THAT should be quite the adventure. Mr Neil is also looking forward to it, being the only duck lover in the house right now (I will eat it but it’s not my favourite meat, though I am learning to cook it pretty well).

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week, you can find the recipe online here), we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Did you read my blog in your Google Reader? Did you know that Google Reader is longer as of July 1st? What to do? Well you can follow my blog with bloglovin! (and all your other favourites too!) or for a few other suggestions for RSS readers to replace Google Reader, read my post.

Follow my adventures in the South of France…

Follow my Summer 2013 Flickr set or

, , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Tzatziki

1. Liz August 2, 2013 at 07:11 #

Great substitution in a pinch, Mardi…and your dill/oil makes a lovely garnish!

2. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes August 2, 2013 at 14:20 #

Using dried dill oil is the way to do it when the fresh is not easily available Mardi, I had a hard time finding the fresh herbs. I think chips au roquefort sound sensational, and would love to try those flavors with this tzatziki! Enjoy your vacation!

3. Dessert By Candy August 2, 2013 at 16:02 #

Oooo Chips au Roquefort! That sounds like the perfect accompaniment. You know, aside from being in France and with all the great company :)

4. Cher August 2, 2013 at 18:49 #

Those chips do sound amazing!
    Enjoy your time in the South of France – sounds amazing.

5. Betsy August 2, 2013 at 22:34 #

Great appetizer offering! Looks delicious. Hope you are having a fun vacation.

6. Bill Facker August 2, 2013 at 23:48 #

Stopped by your site after seeing your comment on Ann Mah’s site .. the minute I saw that cool, refreshing bottle of Tavel Rose I was hooked! Nice post! Aloha from Kauai !

7. Cakelaw August 3, 2013 at 01:47 #

I couldn’t get fresh dill either – so I subbed in chives. Glad to hear you are enjoying your holiday.

8. Alice August 3, 2013 at 01:55 #

Ack, I’m nervous for the duck recipe for next week… I’m not sure if it’s something we can even afford to buy right now and while the last one was good, I’m not a fan of the gamey taste.

Your tzatziki looks fantastic with those drops of olive oil on top as well! Lucky you, France!! :) Enjoy your trip!

9. Nana August 3, 2013 at 09:03 #

That all looks amazing. Enjoy your vacation, that is such a lovely area to visit.

10. Christy August 3, 2013 at 10:14 #

I adore Tzatziki, but that bottle of Tavel and Roquefort chips are calling my name. Can you ship some to Palm Springs?

11. Beth (OMG! Yummy) August 3, 2013 at 11:03 #

Oh you are so loyal and disciplined – to stay the course even on vacation. I think I could even manage this one with my crazy schedule. Love the pairing with the roquefort chips and aaahhh – a French Rose – not sure summer gets any better. Wish I was sizzling in the sun in France with you! Enjoy!

12. yummychunklet August 3, 2013 at 21:15 #

Love the drizzle of olive oil on top!

13. Tricia S. August 6, 2013 at 20:13 #

Oh Mardi – it all sounds and looks amazing. Cheers and enjoy every moment !!!! I just made it through the first two pages of your flickr feed and loved what you shared- I will go back in later this week when I have more time to savor the shots. Kudos for getting it all labeled- it was all I could do to upload the photos and get them in the “sets” :) I had to chuckle because your pin/red wine shots reminded me of how I love to order a Monaco instead of a Kir sometimes in the late afternoon. I only learned when I got home that it is like ordering a Shirley Temple and only high schoolers usually do this. Oh well, my sweet tooth gets me in trouble again. At least I felt glamorous enjoying my beer with the grenadine !! PS- Meant to tell you that Nana and I had a lousy trip OVER there and were delayed much like you were. Our plane was delayed 3 + hours on the tarmac before we left Philadelphia and they had to make us deplane—after waiting so long for the trip, Nana and I joked that we were not getting off the plane. So fun to see the sites YOU are now enjoying. I will need to add the salt area to my bucket list- at least I picked up a lot to take home when at Auchon !!!

14. Mr. Neil August 9, 2013 at 11:36 #

Seems they didn’t wake the driver from his wee nap, so I missed out on the crisps, tzatziki AND the bottle of Tavel that I purchased.

Harrumph.

• Cathy August 13, 2013 at 02:34 #

We DID call you, but there was no reply!! As the saying goes: Snooze you lose!!